Cribbage players

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Cribbage players

Post by gkas »

I'm posting this for a general discussion.

Is playing cribbage a general thing, an armed forces thing, or regional.... or all the above. I'm asking because I see a lot of cribbage boards made, and they look really nice. They seem to be very popular. Like the Paradise Box of the card game world. :wink: I'm a retired guy who lives in Southern California. I've asked friends, friends of friends, and my sons friends (for the younger opinion). I haven't found one person who plays the game. My folks were from the Boston area, and I remember my Dad having a cribbage board hanging around. I think he played with my uncle.

...just interested.

tnx,
Gerry

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Cribbage players

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm 62, and when I was a kid my father introduced us (his 6 kids) to cribbage stating he'd learned to play while he was in the army. I've personally never met anyone else who plays it, although they may have played it as a kid and forgotten about it like I had until seeing several board examples posted here.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Cribbage might be a “regional” pastime. I know it is popular in the New England states where my wife and her family are from. They used to play it in the winter when it was too cold to go outside (or snowed in).

I come from Arizona, then moved to Florida and now southern coastal Georgia. All warm-weather regions. Never even saw a cribbage board until joining a few CNC forums!

:D
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Papa_Paul
Model of CNC Machine: Open Build OX

Post by Papa_Paul »

I am a retired USAF serviceman and live with my English wife in the UK. There are alot of cribbage teams here and most pubs have a team that meet at other pubs and locations to play against one another. Me I do not play, the only card game I ever got interested in was Pinochle, while on my remote tours. Even though I do not play I would like to make one for my local pub; perhaps this winter when the weather and short days of daylight start to pull in.

R\ Paul

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I agree with Michael... it is most likely a regional game. I have many years of combat arms in the Army dating back to the mid 70's and been to all corners of the world... never seen anyone military playing that game. But I do believe I've heard of teams in Europe. So it might be a bit more popular there. When I was at the DMZ in Korea in the 80's, our rec center had a cribbage board game.. but no one ever touched it... lol. Monopoly was the fav.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I’m going to have to make one and learn how to play to see what I’ve been missing!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Agree that it is pretty much regional.

Northern Wisconsin has cribbage boards all over the place, find them in taverns, bowling alleys, homes. Even in ice fishing shacks.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

I agree, it must be a regional game. I was born in CT and my Dad was in the Navy. He taught my brothers and I to play when we were 6 or 7 ? It seemed like a challenge to learn, but was a fun game. I am a baby-boomer.

Dave

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

My dad was stationed in Wisconsin, Fort McCoy I think, for long enough to marry my mom and start work on my oldest sister. Likely that is where he learned to play.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

Seems to be quite popular up here in Alberta, Canada. And not just with the older generations. My in-laws used to billet Junior A hockey players (15-19 year olds), and cribbage is a huge past time for them. Mainly because it's easy to play on long bus rides between game locations I guess.

I've made several boards, but have never learned to play. Not really my thing.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I learned to play when I was in the Air force. but it seems to be regional in nature. Its a fast moving game, can play with 2,3, or 4 players.

jay pieper
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x4

Post by jay pieper »

In Wisconsin the game of cribbage has a big following you can't go to any local bar, tavern, or resort
where there aren't people playing.
During the winter you will see cribbage tournaments advertised everywhere. Tournaments will pay out
large purses for the winner, you better be at the top of your game to play with these guys and gals. I
have 200-300 people at tourament and pay a $20.00 entry fee with top 5 places getting paid. The only
game that draws alot of players is the card game of sheeps head another northern favorite. I believe it
has alot to do with German Heritage especially SHEEPS HEAD.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

When I wad growing up I was very close to my grandparents and they loved to play cards. Pinochle, Cribbage and sometimes Canasta. Then as a young adult we would get together at least once a week and play. Mostly double deck Pinochle when we had the time and Cribbage for a quick pastime. My grandfather even made a crude cribbage board wiith a hand saw and a hand drill and we used that for many years. So, I've been play Cribbage most of my life. In fact it's my "go to" game on my cell phone. Cribbage boards make a great CNC project and I have made several boards myself and given them away to family and friends.
Attachments
Cribbage Board11.jpg
Cribbage Board10.jpg
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Got no idea how popular it is in the UK, I was taught to play as a kid by my parents, along with a few other card games, then played over the years while in the Royal Navy when at sea. Haven't played since I left in 1994 & also can't recall seeing it being played anywhere. It might be on the decline here as times change, I didn't teach my kids to play as we always had other things to do instead. :lol: :lol:

RobertD
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Centroid Acorn

Post by RobertD »

The game is big in Ontario as well. I have made all kinds of different boards for people and for awards. Its not a hard game to learn, and with our winters its something else to do on cold nights!!! :lol:

Steve I really like your board, great workmanship.

Bob