Making a gift

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Stix
Model of CNC Machine: Nothing Fancy

Making a gift

Post by Stix »

I started out doing a V-Carve, and then decided to get more elaborate. I utilized the advice of a couple experts, and I came up with this.
This was my first time using sign foam, and I plan to cut this from Walnut, after a few more modifications. This one is 7.75" x 7.75", and the finished one
will be 16" diameter.
I'm hoping to have it finished by Father's day, as long as time permits.

The first pic looks like the carving is deeper at one side because of the shadow, so I added the second pic to show the depth is uniform across the design.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Making a gift

Post by gkas »

Looks great.... I wish that my first post had looked that good :?

mark-s
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: diy 4 X 4 CNC Router

Post by mark-s »

Nice, good job.
Where did you get the image from?
mark-s

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I really like the details of the carve. I haven't tried sign foam yet. But I do plan to try. After spending some time online searching for a decent size/price, I stopped looking. I just can't justify spending $30 to $40 on a small piece of material just to play with... :cry: I did see a decent buy on ebay, but I was out bid. I'll keep searching and looking. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Stix

Post by Stix »

I originally wanted to make this as a Father's Day gift.
I may not be finishing this project now.
I just found out today, that my father has both lung cancer, and brain cancer. He is scheduled for an operation on Tuesday, to remove a 3cm x 3cm x 5cm mass from his brain.
It's an extremely dangerous operation, and he might not make it through the surgery.
A person hits a certain age, and realizes that losing your parents is inevitable, but it's impossible to be prepared for it.
Sorry for the rant...

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

No matter how much you think you're ready...you're not!
My sincere sympathy to you...lost my Dad almost a month ago.
Make sure to get a REALLY good talk in with him Soon!
TRY not to have ANY regrets!!
You're NOT ranting:)
Be well, and best of luck to your Dad!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Stix

Post by Stix »

scottp55 wrote:No matter how much you think you're ready...you're not!
My sincere sympathy to you...lost my Dad almost a month ago.
Make sure to get a REALLY good talk in with him Soon!
TRY not to have ANY regrets!!
You're NOT ranting:)
Be well, and best of luck to your Dad!
scott
Scott, I'm sorry for your loss.
I went Thursday and spent about four hours with him. I found out he had to go in for several more tests yesterday, and during the tests, they found he had an extremely high heart rate. So they made him stay, and from my understanding, he will be there until his surgery on Tuesday. They also found two more small spots in his brain.
His surgeon says the operation is something he has done several of; he did two in one day last week. It's a four hour procedure, but he doesn't go in until 4 PM on Tuesday.
We are going to visit him today and try to keep his mind off of all of this, if that's even possible.

Thank you for the well wishes, they are greatly appreciated.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Have you got any dense Hardwoods and TINY Ball Nose bits, OR a 30 degree engraving bit with .01" or smaller flat?
Shrinking that design down to a hand held(2.5-3") in a Dense wood, carves in hours, and feels amazing in the hand!!
Dad LOVED holding my work in his hand!!
Denser the wood, the less work needs to be done after carving it seems, and also needs less coats of finishing.
Even just a mineral oil/wax finish feels GREAT:)
Feel free to PM me for Tiny tips!

When my Dad did the pre-op,post-op,ICU(weeks), and then rehab....He said he felt more sorry for the long helpless feeling faces, than for himself.
What he LOVED was people telling stories about their times together that meant something to them growing up!! :)
Fathers seem to be insecure creatures, and are always wondering if they did a good job...Finding out he got a good report card meant the World to Dad!! :) :)
Funny to hear His side of the same story too!

Young friend started having remedial brain surgery at age 10 for incurable tumor behind his right eye, they only remove the mass when pain in eye gets to bad.
21 and 4 operations later now, and what he remembers best are my stories :)

Good thoughts still going out!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Beej
Model of CNC Machine: Z90 Bear Whopper 10'x5'

Post by Beej »

That is amazing! I so want to try doing some 3D stuff soon, especially like this. Nice one

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I don't believe this is 3D... it appears to be just a vcarve, or at least that is what I could get from vcarve. I also haven't tried any 3D accept a free vase file from vectric.