Page 1 of 2

Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:55 am
by Mobius
I was asked for a donation for a silent auction; fundraising for a satellite office of the Central Alberta Pregnancy Care Center here in Drumheller.

Cribbage boards are my go to for that kind of thing, as the game seems to be on an up swing. This one is a little unique though.

I kind of like making things that go as donations, as they allow me to play with some ideas that are floating around in my head without having to worry about customer requirements.

Image

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm
by Savannahdan
That's spectacular and I'm sure the winning bidder will enjoy it.

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:34 pm
by dwilli9013
That is quite striking. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:56 pm
by dgw@telus.net
Awesome job! I have been designing an Alberta shaped Crib board for a couple months. I never did figure out what to put in the interior. That is fantastic!

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm
by woody53
Great idea ! I love It. :D :D

Dave

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:56 pm
by adze_cnc
For those not familiar with Alberta: it is the size of Texas; so that river and valley are not really to scale compare to the area of the province. Rather, that appears to be a portion of land around Drumheller with a provincial boundary superimposed on it.

I'm not a big fan of most cribbage boards (call me old-fashioned but I like a rectangular race-track shaped one best) but this is one of the most interesting non-traditional designs I've seen here. Congratulations!

Steven

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 pm
by ZipperHead55
As a fellow Albertan (Spruce Grove) I have to say that is awesome! I have made simple Alberta projects (outline of province) and have meant to do something like that (topographical details), so that gives me inspiration.

Thanks for sharing and I'm sure they'll appreciate the donation since it is one of a kind!

Allan

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:40 am
by Mobius
adze_cnc wrote:For those not familiar with Alberta: it is the size of Texas; so that river and valley are not really to scale compare to the area of the province. Rather, that appears to be a portion of land around Drumheller with a provincial boundary superimposed on it.

I'm not a big fan of most cribbage boards (call me old-fashioned but I like a rectangular race-track shaped one best) but this is one of the most interesting non-traditional designs I've seen here. Congratulations!

Steven


Thanks Steven, and thanks for providing the clarification on what it is. I probably should have that that in the original post. :D

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:43 am
by Mobius
ZipperHead55 wrote:As a fellow Albertan (Spruce Grove) I have to say that is awesome! I have made simple Alberta projects (outline of province) and have meant to do something like that (topographical details), so that gives me inspiration.

Thanks for sharing and I'm sure they'll appreciate the donation since it is one of a kind!

Allan


In case you're interested, I used this website to obtain the topographical data as an .stl file: http://jthatch.com/Terrain2STL/

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 am
by scottp55
Thanks for adding the link Connor!
NICE Job!! :)
scott

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:35 pm
by lsvien
I think I know but can you share how your clipped the stl to the province shape? I like the idea and would like to try it on a few US states shape but I lack some of the software tools to edit the stl file.

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:15 pm
by Mobius
lsvien wrote:I think I know but can you share how your clipped the stl to the province shape? I like the idea and would like to try it on a few US states shape but I lack some of the software tools to edit the stl file.


Image

Position the .stl where you want it within your outline vector, and then use the "use selected vector" option when generating the toolpath.

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 pm
by kp91
Just plain awesome. Great job.

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 am
by RebeccaJ
Very nice work :)

Re: Cribbage Board Donation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:49 pm
by antennasDIY
Fantastic work. I have an Alberta shaped board in the works as well. I am close to you, I drive to Drun once in awhile for something to do on the bike. Drop me a line...antennas@yahoo.com. I'd like to see your setup.