New to forum, Need some help

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
The Carpenter & co
Model of CNC Machine: 1200x900 CNC Router

New to forum, Need some help

Post by The Carpenter & co »

Hi everyone, am new to the forum and CNC, So very steep learning curve.
Have started to get somewhere with 2d routing, managing ok. But I need some help with a 3D model.

I have a koru (Spiral shape) I need to machine with a 12mm radius along its edge.
I purchased vcarve pro a while back and have tried using a moulding path to create the radius.

unfortunately I can create the path but am running into lots of trouble because the spiral joins at a point at its end, and the slot through the spiral shape needs to be quite narrow.

I download the aspire trial and managed to create the 3d model it needed but cant use it because its the trial version I'm unable to export it.
And unfortunately I just cant afford to purchase the program right at the moment.

Would someone be willing to help me with the 3d model if I supply the eps of the shape and dimensions needed etc?
Happy to pay for your time. I really need to get this sorted asap.

Thanks in advance

Phill

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: New to forum, Need some help

Post by Mike-S »

As always, a screen shot and your file would help us help you.
Attachments
koru3.jpg

The Carpenter & co

Capture.JPG
Thanks here is what I have so far, I have created this using, V carve pro and a combination of a end mill and a round over bit.
But would prefer to use a 3D model with a bullnose bit to create the radius on the edges.

The Carpenter & co

Small Koru Final version for testing best radius.crv
I have attached the file I have been working on. Any help would be greatly appreciated

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

You can use a bullnose bit, but since it has a re-entrant profile (one that cuts underneath the surface.) Vectric products cannot model either the bit or the result. The reason is that Vectric files are based on Voxels, which model the surface only, not any undercuts.

If you use a bullnose you will have to modify your vectors so the cut starts away from the part as the bit plunges in (Or add leads.). And lie to the program telling it to use a roundover as you have. The program is not capable of showing the correct result for a bit that undercuts.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

You can use a ballnose, but don't use a finish tool path. You'll get 100x better results using a moulding tool path. Make a profile that just has the roundover part to it (not the whole profile since it varies in width), and use that for your moulding tool path, doing each side of the spiral. Leave the top flat and profile cut the waste from between the spirals.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The Carpenter & co wrote:I download the aspire trial and managed to create the 3d model it needed but cant use it because its the trial version I'm unable to export it.
You could take a screenshot of your model in the Aspire Trial so that people might better understand what you're attempting to accomplish.

Steven

The Carpenter & co

Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG
Hi everyone thanks so much for the helpful advice I really appreciate it.
I spent a bit of time trial and error and battled my way through, Based on advice received I managed to create a moudling path along a drive rail set back from the edge and following the diverging profile.

I experimented with creating various distorted profiles to use as the "roundover " to offset the limitations of the bullnose. I have achieved a perfect roundover but am pretty happy so far.
I appreciate the input, and I love the challenge of larning. Unfortunately I learn best by battling my way through and learning from trying to understand my mistakes.

As Im such a newbie I dont have alot to offer in return, but I hope one day to be able to contribute also.

Thanks again I appreciate it.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

You might want to be careful about the distinction between a "bull-nose" and a "ball-nose" router bit.

fixitmike's reply presumed the use of a bull-nose bit which has a particular profile that prevent plunging directly down into material. When I read the original post I expected that was the type of cutter you were going to use.

Your images, on the other hand, seem to have been done with a bog-standard ball-nose bit.
Bull-nose bit profile
Bull-nose bit profile
Ball-nose bit profile
Ball-nose bit profile