FREE Labs Project: Cribbage Board

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

FREE Labs Project: Cribbage Board

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hello All!
I can’t believe we’re in December already! It’s been a year full of projects that I have well and truly sunken my teeth into and I have learnt an awful lot along the way!
So here’s to my last project for 2018, where I have created a project that could be a perfect last minute gift to cut for someone special this Christmas, but this is also something that can be utilised all year round, a Cribbage Board!
The 7 years I have been at Vectric I have seen many users post great looking Cribbage Boards here on the forum and many other users asking for the plans, and to my knowledge I don’t believe we have ever given away a Cribbage Board File before, so I thought it would be nice to finally give away something a lot of you ask for :)
This project is a two player cribbage board. The board is formed of two parts, the board itself and a lid (that covers a cavity for the playing cards and cribbage pegs to sit inside)! The lid is cut as a two sided assembly where there is room for personalisation on the top; I’ve VCarved Initials into the lid, but why not add some 3D relief to it instead?
To download the project simply head over to: https://release.vectric.com/cribbage-board/

I’d like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Happy Making,
Beki
Attachments
20181120_105659.jpg
20181120_105719.jpg
20181120_105755.jpg
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: FREE Labs Project: Cribbage Board

Post by scottp55 »

You are CERTAIN to get a lot of downloads on this one Beki!!! :)
Well done...And Happy Holidays back atcha :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff

Post by RebeccaJ »

Thank you Scott, I'm glad you like it :)
Beki

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Nice job Beki. I think this project also answers a lot of questions on how to use a moulding toolpath around the perimeter of a project.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Steve

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Another fun project and it looks great. Thank you and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the Vectric staff.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Nice project Beki. One of theses days I'm going to learn to play cribbage. :D

Merry Christmas....
John
Maker of Chips

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

John,

You can actually download the game to your smart phone. It's my favorite pastime when I don't have anything else to do (rare).
Steve

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try.
John
Maker of Chips

meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by meflick »

Thank you Beki. Looks very nice, like John, Highpockets, I will need to learn to play cribbage as well. :wink:

While I may or may not learn to play cribbage, I mainly wanted to say thanks to you and all of Vectric and Michael for the free files that are shared for users to try. I have tried several, downloaded them all for “someday.” Especially those requiring Aspire, once college is paid for 2 I hope to one day upgrade. :lol: in the interim, lots to learn in VCarve. These projects help in thst learning process. Merry Christmas to all of you as well.

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff

Post by RebeccaJ »

Thank you all for your kind comments!
It's humbling to know that all the projects we release are appreciated and and put to good use :)
Merry Christmas from all of the Vectric Team and we look forward to putting more free content out to you all next year!
Beki

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

I've been mentally taking the project apart. I find it's a good way to learn from the experts.

When I examine the profile toolpath for the outside edge of the lid top, I don't totally understand the profile. The left side of the profile definition has a vertical leg that is the same length as the depth of cut. The start point of the profile is at the bottom of this leg. If I remove this leg and set the start point to the top left of the profile, it seems to cut the same profile. Why is this leg there? It would seem to say "start this cut .26" down in the material", but it doesn't.

It often takes me a bit of trial and error to get what I want from a profile toolpath.

thanks,
Gerry

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hey Gerry,
Great Question! The leg is actually there purely from when I drew the profile out so that I could line the end point up with the start point in the Y axis (this is also how I’m used to drawing profiles for modeling processes such as the two rail sweep – so really it’s out of habit!) That said like you have pointed out if the vertical leg isn’t there it still creates the same profile so either way is fine.
The reason the tool doesn’t start .26 down is because the Z values of the ”leg” portion of the cross section are directly above the start point so it just ignores the original start point. If however the start point was say to the left (and thus creating an angled cross section then you would see the tool start down at .26” (or where the tool can fit) and then follow the rest of the cross section. I’ve included an image to demonstrate the latter to (hopefully) better demonstrate what I’m explaining.
I hope this helps, and answers your queries :D
Attachments
Angled cross section example.PNG
Beki

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Good to know. I guessed the first part correctly. I have been deleting that leg when I draw my profiles, but it's nice to have it for reference. It's interesting that the software is smart enough to ignore the leg if it's vertical.

thanks,
Gerry