down the engraving Rabbit hole...

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
ricphoto
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom A8 Pro+

down the engraving Rabbit hole...

Post by ricphoto »

OK...needed a small break from 3D and wood so I broke out the diamond drag bit for the 1st time and decided to try some engraving...

I bought the Widget Works version and it came stock with the 120* tip...90* tip is on order.

1st up was the small Dragon medallion...used what little info I could find to set the basic parameters...not totally happy with the results but not totally bummed either...

so I decided to try something a little different and grabbed a handful of 4x4 cheap $.99 mexican tiles from Lowes and prepped another pic...

The only changes I made in the settings was to switch to "outline" from "hatch" and instead of touching off with paper like the 1st one I lowered the bit onto the material and then lowered a bit more (about 1/4 the spring travel) before setting "Z" zero...also tried hot melt glue (gorilla glue sticks) on the edges as a hold-down method for the first time...worked great...

Much happier with the second try...etching is deeper and has better definition...(must be ok because my wife has already claimed it ;-p) a little shaky on some of the lines but closer to the effect I had in mind...

Lots of possibilities here...going to try aluminum again tomorrow...

if anyone has any tips/tricks I'd appreciate any advice...Thanks

and the fun continues

;-)
20180418_engraving_pics.jpg
20180420_engraving_pics-2.jpg
20180420_engraving_pics.jpg
20180420_engraving_pics-3.jpg

AlanAndrews
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ELU860

Re: down the engraving Rabbit hole...

Post by AlanAndrews »

VERY NICE

jeffhcarter
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by jeffhcarter »

Looks Cool. I have been thinking of this lately :)

meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by meflick »

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Couple of questions from a relative newbie. I've been considering getting a diamond drag bit to give this type of work a try. Can you give me information on where you got yours? Also, can you share more about the aluminum you used for the dragon coin? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

jimalee
Model of CNC Machine: Bobs E3 cnc

Post by jimalee »

very nice I never considered using tile. I mostly use glass for led lamps. thanks for sharing