New Enclosure

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
lsvien
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

New Enclosure

Post by lsvien »

Having moved this past winter, the shop went from a dedicated building detached from the house to an area in the basement. While the room is isolated from the rest of the house HVAC, noise and dust mitigation was mandatory by spousal decree.

The frame is 3/4” Baltic birch and the plex is 1/4”. I first started joining the frames with pocket screws but didn’t like the result so I went to half lap joints for more strength. The end panels are removable in case I want to work on a longer pieces of wood. To make sure the noise is cut down I made each a double pane with a 1/4” space between. Gluing the plex in place was a challenge. Had all kinds of trouble finding something that would adhere to the plex. Finally settled on 3M P5200 marine adhesive.

I wanted the front of the top to also hinge up so I don’t have to climb inside when setting up or changing bits. This works great and all I have to do is lean in. The double pane 1/4” plex is very heavy and the joint between the top and front panel was first joined with biscuits. The first time I put the hinge on and tried it, the joint failed with a resounding crack and crash. The next version I said “OK no more messing around” and it had gussets, screws, and re-enforcement blocks. Nothing subtle or elegant about it. Then I found the first pair of gas shocks were only 22 lbs. and didn’t come even close to holding up the front. I finally settled on a pair of 50 lbs. units and they hold it up, but not by much.

Added some LED lights inside and some weather stripping to keep it tight. Cuts the noise down so that you can have a conversation with a normal voice while standing right next to it. And all dust is contained inside. I haven’t added dust collection yet and may not. I ran a 1.5 hour job and the dust build up wasn’t too bad and the heat while noticeable was not excessive. It’s been way hotter when I had the dedicated shop and all the doors and windows were open and a Minnesota humid summer day of 95+

While not the super-duper great things you folks are producing it has helped around the shop. Best of all the spousal decree has been met. Everyone is happy
Attachments
IMG_4903.jpg
IMG_4904.jpg
IMG_4905.jpg
Mother Nature always bats last!

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: New Enclosure

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Nice work.

Your gas springs are not correctly mounted, which may reduce their lifetime and can be dangerous.

See here:
http://www.industrialgassprings.com/gas ... tructions/
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

I understand the spousal approval thing about noise. When you switch to a spindle, you'll get even less noise. Even at full rpm my air cooled spindle is very quite.
What makes the noise now is the cutters doing the work.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

LittleGreyMan wrote:Nice work.

Your gas springs are not correctly mounted, which may reduce their lifetime and can be dangerous.

See here:
http://www.industrialgassprings.com/gas ... tructions/
Well, officially learned something today. Now I can take the rest of the day off :lol:
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Glad you posted that information. Helpful for checking repairs done on vehicles.