Flatpack Chair Design

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Flatpack Chair Design

Post by sharkcutup »

plywood-furniture-plans-flatpack-furniture.jpg

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with this design?

Clue: The Seat

And How would you go about resolving the problem issue?

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: Flatpack Chair Design

Post by Mike-S »

Can you refine the "clue"? Looks like a clever design.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Note the notch/cutout in the back of the seat --- what is it for??? What goes into it???

Could it be maybe a small block that size is attached/mounted to the lower end of the chair back that aligns with this notch/cutout in the seat???
plywood-furniture-plans-flatpack-furniture2.jpg
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

That slot looks like a handle to me.
You need some where for your fingers to grip the seat panel, so you can pull it apart.
The slot width is wider that the material thickness being used if you compare the other slots.

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

sharkcutup wrote:
Can anybody tell me what is wrong with this design?

Clue: The Seat

And How would you go about resolving the problem issue?

Sharkcutup

Do you have a file for this?

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

potzmannwoodshop,

Yes, I created a file for it using .5" plywood as a test model. While assembling this Flat Pack Chair I found that the cutout/slot in the back of the seat does nothing for the assembly!!!

That is why I have brought about the question of this cutout/slot in back of seat!

In the assembly trial I also noticed that the cutouts/slots need to be carved slightly under size for a tight fit assembly! Also I noticed in the design that there is nothing which holds seat to the rest of the chair at the back end. It just seems to lay on the leg frames. There are no fixed supports at the back of the Seat to Leg Frame!

This a design which is to be put together on site and then disassembled and flat packed away for later use. No Glue is used for assembly unless of course you the owner of the chair desires to do so!

ozymax,

In my own opinion a handle is not needed for assembly/disassembly for it can be held/grabbed on outer edges during assembly/disassembly of detailed parts. But you could very well be right because it is in fact larger than the material thickness but why would it be needed???

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

sharkcutup wrote:potzmannwoodshop,

Yes, I created a file for it using .5" plywood as a test model. While assembling this Flat Pack Chair I found that the cutout/slot in the back of the seat does nothing for the assembly!!!

That is why I have brought about the question of this cutout/slot in back of seat!

In the assembly trial I also noticed that the cutouts/slots need to be carved slightly under size for a tight fit assembly! Also I noticed in the design that there is nothing which holds seat to the rest of the chair at the back end. It just seems to lay on the leg frames. There are no fixed supports at the back of the Seat to Leg Frame!

This a design which is to be put together on site and then disassembled and flat packed away for later use. No Glue is used for assembly unless of course you the owner of the chair desires to do so!

ozymax,

In my own opinion a handle is not needed for assembly/disassembly for it can be held/grabbed on outer edges during assembly/disassembly of detailed parts. But you could very well be right because it is in fact larger than the material thickness but why would it be needed???

Sharkcutup
The info that you gave is a great benefit, as in your OP you seemed to be playing a game by asking us a riddle you knew the answer to, you still seem to believe you have the answer though. DO you mind posting the file for the rest of us to try?

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

The info that you gave is a great benefit, as in your OP you seemed to be playing a game by asking us a riddle you knew the answer to, you still seem to believe you have the answer though. DO you mind posting the file for the rest of us to try?

I am sorry that you feel that way as I am not the original designer of this project. I am trying to determine how this design actually works/functions. So I came here to this forum with intentions to brainstorm and try to solve the mystery behind the original design. It is a clever design but ---- what is missing???

No Games just in search of an answer is ALL!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I knew I'd seen that design before. It's at least 10 years old: https://www.treehugger.com/sustainable- ... rance.html and http://studiolodesign.fr/p_o_pano.php

The concept sketch here: https://desiremeetsdesign.wordpress.com ... studio-lo/ shows no notch at the back.

Steven

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

I knew I'd seen that design before. It's at least 10 years old: https://www.treehugger.com/sustainable- ... rance.html and http://studiolodesign.fr/p_o_pano.php

The concept sketch here: https://desiremeetsdesign.wordpress.com ... studio-lo/ shows no notch at the back.

Steven
That does help some --- it looks to me like the seat and chair back are supposed to be a tight fit butting against each other (seat edge against chair back) . So as in an earlier post it has been mentioned that the cutout/slot may be a handle which now would make sense if it is in fact a tightly fitted location.

Thank you Everyone!!! I believe the mystery has been solved. Now All I have to do now is re-adjusted my .crv file and create another trial assembly.

Have a Great Day Everyone!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

sharkcutup wrote:Can anybody tell me what is wrong with this design? Clue: The Seat
Before I read the rest of this thread, I was going to say that the seat is too flat and would be uncomfortable. The way to resolve this issue is to use the fluting toolpath to contour the seat so that one's butt fits there more comfortably. Fortunately, Bob Jr. posted how to do this in 2013 in this post: http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... at#p127281

Andy

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Andy,

Yeah that is a cool contoured seat design making use of the fluting tool path. Thank you for the link! It sure will come in handy in future design builds.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554