down the engraving Rabbit hole...

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro

down the engraving Rabbit hole...

Postby ricphoto » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:41 am

OK...needed a small break from 3D and wood so I broke out the diamond drag bit for the 1st time and decided to try some engraving...

I bought the Widget Works version and it came stock with the 120* tip...90* tip is on order.

1st up was the small Dragon medallion...used what little info I could find to set the basic parameters...not totally happy with the results but not totally bummed either...

so I decided to try something a little different and grabbed a handful of 4x4 cheap $.99 mexican tiles from Lowes and prepped another pic...

The only changes I made in the settings was to switch to "outline" from "hatch" and instead of touching off with paper like the 1st one I lowered the bit onto the material and then lowered a bit more (about 1/4 the spring travel) before setting "Z" zero...also tried hot melt glue (gorilla glue sticks) on the edges as a hold-down method for the first time...worked great...

Much happier with the second try...etching is deeper and has better definition...(must be ok because my wife has already claimed it ;-p) a little shaky on some of the lines but closer to the effect I had in mind...

Lots of possibilities here...going to try aluminum again tomorrow...

if anyone has any tips/tricks I'd appreciate any advice...Thanks

and the fun continues

;-)

20180418_engraving_pics.jpg

20180420_engraving_pics-2.jpg

20180420_engraving_pics.jpg

20180420_engraving_pics-3.jpg
ricphoto

Model of CNC Machine: Axiom A8 Pro+

Re: down the engraving Rabbit hole...

Postby AlanAndrews » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:50 am

VERY NICE