"Birdcage" Hollow candlestand

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

"Birdcage" Hollow candlestand

Post by llwood »

This is a design I'm affectionately calling the Birdcage candlestand because of the hollow globe in the center. The center post was cut using the wrapping gadget. I had to order extra long bits, because in order to contour the inside of the "legs", the bit had to reach all the way through the center in order to cut a fluting toolpath on the inside of the leg on the opposite side. It was designed with an odd number of legs so that an opening on one side would match the inside of the leg on the other side. The contour on the outside of the globe was cut using a moulding toolpath.

For the base and the cup, I created the shape using dome_dish_45 from the clip art, and projected a vcarve toolpath onto the 3D model. In the measure tool, the 3rd option is to "model a cross-section." I used this to generate a vector which was used to create a moulding toolpath. I cut the curve using a moulding toolpath instead of 3D toolpaths, in order to be faster and have the cuts conform to the shape of the object by having the bit move in a circular instead of a square pattern. HOWEVER, I could still project the vcarve toolpath onto the 3D model and it came out perfectly!

Just in time for Christmas!
Andy
Attachments
Ash with statesman oak stain
Ash with statesman oak stain
English Walnut with clear finish
English Walnut with clear finish

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Re: "Birdcage" Hollow candlestand

Post by Bobtail Farm »

Thanks for the mention of "model a cross-section". Exactly the feature I've been casting about for a project.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

A beautiful and creative piece of work :D

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

That is such a neat technique and project. I followed your description and reason for using the moulding tool with the 3D dish shapes through the moulding toolpath. But, I could not generate a moulding toolpath. I think I need a little more guidance at the moulding step.
Thank you,
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Great work from what appears to be a fertile imagination. It would make for a good youtube presentation/tutorial.

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Bob Jr wrote:That is such a neat technique and project. I followed your description and reason for using the moulding tool with the 3D dish shapes through the moulding toolpath. But, I could not generate a moulding toolpath. I think I need a little more guidance at the moulding step. Bob
Bob, What sort of problem are you having generating a moulding toolpath? I was unable to upload my .crv file because it's too big, so instead I put it up on Google Drive. You can download it by clicking on the link below. The you can see the 3D profile generated and also the components of the moulding toolpath.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16JayC ... 8pX9UkQGfc

One thing to know: In order to get the shape I wanted, the dome is actually deeper than the material. VCP complained about this, so I had to make the material size thicker in the file than the actual material size. this is because the top of the dome is outside the material. I added a comment about this in the notes. If you can let me know more specifically the problem you are having, I know we can figure it out.

And thanks everyone for the feedback,
Andy

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

Andy,
The world makes sense again. You used the inner circle as the drive rail, not the outer!
Thank you very much for your help.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

AWESOME Detailed Carving!!!

That is a GREAT GIFT IDEA for that special honey-do master in anyones household!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Bob Jr wrote:You used the inner circle as the drive rail, not the outer!
Yes, any time the drive rail is a CLOSED vector, the profile vector will always be applied to the outside of the drive rail (even reversing the vector doesn't change this), so the drive rail must be the inner circle.

If you really want to use the outer vector as the drive rail, the only way to do it is to cut the closed vector into 2 open vectors and have 2 moulding toolpaths, one for each of the 2 open vectors. When the drive rail vector is open, it can be cut on the inside.

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Oh wow - you've used a combination of techniques! Very inspiring!
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Andy,

I was under the impression that Aspire wouldn't allow you to go deeper than 0,0 (the center of the cylinder). How did you manage to go inches beyond?

Mike :?

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

mikeacg wrote:I was under the impression that Aspire wouldn't allow you to go deeper than 0,0 (the center of the cylinder). How did you manage to go inches beyond?
Mike, I can't speak for Aspire because I've never used it. In VCarve Pro, I cut the post using the wrapping gadget, and the wrapping gadget basically creates a file that you work with as if it were flat, and then it is wrapped by using one of the postprocessors that maps Y to A. As with any other file, VCarve Pro will allow you to cut deeper than the material, it just shows a warning message when you calculate the toolpath. I've attached the screen capture of the warning message I get when regenerating the toolpaths. I ignore the warning message, because this is intended, and the bits go deeper than the turning center.

I've also uploaded the .crv file so anyone can see directly.

Cheers,
Andy
Attachments
Screen Capture of Toolpath Depth Warning.JPG
BCHC Post 5.crv
(595.5 KiB) Downloaded 173 times

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Andy,

Gary Campbell called me last night and set me straight. I missed the pocket path step the first time through. I'm going to be playing with the idea over the holidays on my Sidewinder!

Mike