Light switch covers

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Light switch covers

Post by GEdward »

After I got my machine up and running in March of this year I came across this figure on ebay and bought the STL file for it. I thought it would make a good subject for trying out the machine and experimenting with various wood species, router bits and all kinds of other variables. In short order I ended up with 6 or 7 of them and while some of them came out pretty nice, I had no clue what I was going to do with them. One day it dawned on while I was thinking about replacing a grungy plastic light switch cover that these things might work for that purpose. It started off with some singles that looked kind of interesting and with a little resizing and tweaking I made a double and triple as well. Here are some examples in curly maple.
G Edward
Attachments
WP_20171028_0561 (2).jpg
WP_20171028_0391 (2).jpg
WP_20171028_0661 (2).jpg

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Re: Light switch covers

Post by Mobius »

Nice work, they are very pretty.

Just something to consider: here in Canada these would be considered a fire hazard (being made from a combustible material) as far as electrical code is concerned. They also wouldn't be legal to install as they are not cUL/CSA approved.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Mobius wrote:Nice work, they are very pretty.

Just something to consider: here in Canada these would be considered a fire hazard (being made from a combustible material) as far as electrical code is concerned. They also wouldn't be legal to install as they are not cUL/CSA approved.
Question,
What if there was a metal plate behind the wooden cover...??

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

mezalick wrote:
Mobius wrote:Nice work, they are very pretty.

Question,
What if there was a metal plate behind the wooden cover...??

Michael
PS, I like the covers,,,nice idea
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

I am not too worried about it. Here in the US we use circuit breakers to interrupt the circuit in the event of a short. :D If a light switch or outlet is hot enough to ignite a plastic or wooden cover then the stud on which it's gang box is mounted is on fire as well. And if you are unlucky enough to have a wood wall or wainscot then you could never have lights and outlets in that room?

Besides, they are for my own personal use. I am not marketing them.

G Edward

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

I've made several walnut switch covers for my house in Canada.

You can also buy wood covers in Canada at any big box store like Home Depot.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I always pocket the back of my light switch covers so they fit over an UL approved cover.
Dragon light switch cover (2016_08_04 18_21_49 UTC).JPG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard

Post by Mobius »

rscrawford wrote:I've made several walnut switch covers for my house in Canada.

You can also buy wood covers in Canada at any big box store like Home Depot.
You can, but they have a backing on them (usually brass or aluminum) and the assembly is CSA or cUL rated.
GEdward wrote: I am not too worried about it. Here in the US we use circuit breakers to interrupt the circuit in the event of a short. :D If a light switch or outlet is hot enough to ignite a plastic or wooden cover then the stud on which it's gang box is mounted is on fire as well. And if you are unlucky enough to have a wood wall or wainscot then you could never have lights and outlets in that room?

Besides, they are for my own personal use. I am not marketing them.

G Edward
Its not about the device getting hot enough to auto-ignite the cover, it is about the possibility of an arc inside the box. In the event of a short inside the box, even though the breaker may work as intended, the resulting arc flash can still ignite flamable materials in an instant.

Electrical boxes are designed specifically to contain this arc. If you have wainscotting, the box must extend flush with that wall by code (here in Canada, US is similar I believe), so there is no exposed wood.

I'm a licensed electrician and I deal mainly with residential commercial, and some of the things I've seen........ Lets just say I'm surprised there aren't more house fires. In any case, I was just attempting to enlighten you on a possible safety concern.

One other concern would be the possibility of voiding your home insurance should something happen. Insurance companies are notorious for finding ways to not pay out. Again, just saying. It is your decision and assumption of risk so I wish you well.
Connor Bredin

rej
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 2014 roc-tech 4x8 with servos

Post by rej »

seems odd it's so dangerous and illegal but you can literally buy them at a home depot. you should email home depot.
http://www.3dsigncamp.com
http://www.roctechusacnc.com

Mobius
Vectric Wizard

Post by Mobius »

rej wrote:seems odd it's so dangerous and illegal but you can literally buy them at a home depot. you should email home depot.

See my previous post. I also didn't say they were so dangerous, just that there was a risk involved with using them.
Connor Bredin