Bowl with 3D/Molding TP Integration

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Bowl with 3D/Molding TP Integration

Post by llwood »

This is another bowl inspired by Fleming's post on the Aspire gallery of small bowls created on an indexer. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26445

I designed this bowl using 3D components in a way similar to the S-curved bowl with sloping sides: http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27340

But what is unique about this bowl is I minimized the use of 3D toolpaths and used molding toolpaths instead in order to reduce cutting time.

I used 3D toolpaths to cut around the Fleur de Lys ornaments, as you can see in the preview below.
Attachments
fleur de lys cutouts.jpg

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Re: Bowl with 3D/Molding TP Integration

Post by llwood »

If you go to the Measure tool, the 3rd option says "Model Cross-Section." I used this tool in order to get a cross section of the curve, and then I used the cross-section vector in order to create the profile vector for the molding toolpath. I then used molding toolpaths to cut the area between and around the fleur de lys ornaments with the same curve as the 3D shape. See previews below.
Attachments
Molding toolpaths that cut between the ornaments
Molding toolpaths that cut between the ornaments
Molding toolpaths that cut above and below the ornaments
Molding toolpaths that cut above and below the ornaments

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

fleur de lys bowl.jpg
This is the result, completely unsanded and unfinished.

You can't see the boundaries between the 3D toolpaths and the molding toolpaths.

However, it didn't really save that much cutting time, and it sure made the design a lot harder. It took a whole lot of molding toolpaths (24) and if I ever change the shape of it, I will have to redo all the molding toolpaths. Ultimately, it probably wasn't worth it for the amount of cutting time saved. It would have probably been better just to cut the whole thing with the 3D toolpaths. But I guess this is how we learn. I wanted to know if it was possible to have the 3D toolpaths and the molding toolpaths come together perfectly, and it looks like it is!

Andy and Marty
Locust Lane Woodworking

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Glad to see your "experiment" and will remember that technique :)
The only way I learn is to try things like you did. Lots of designer firewood but also some neat stuff comes as a result :o

I really like your bowl.

Paul