Open Bowl with Grape Leaves

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Open Bowl with Grape Leaves

Post by llwood »

Fleming posted pictures on the Aspire gallery of small bowls created on an indexer. http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26445

We don't have Aspire, but, since we have a turning center, I didn't think there was any reason why similar bowls couldn't be created using VCarve Pro, 3D models and the wrapping gadget. It turns out I was right.

The outside was done on the CNC, then the interior was cleared out by Marty with a drill press (to remove the majority of the material) and the lathe.

I'm quite happy with how it turned out, and it has inspired other designs. I hope to post pictures of them as they materialize.

Andy and Marty
Attachments
side view cherry
side view cherry
side view poplar
side view poplar
side view both
side view both
top view cherry
top view cherry

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Re: Open Bowl with Grape Leaves

Post by Fleming »

Excellent work - keep it up and post your resuts :D

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

The first version of this bowl was a "learning experience."

As you can see the bowl is wider at the top than the bottom. Well the original version of this bowl was more open and used 3D models of animals rather than grape leaves. One of the animals used was a zebra. When the bowl was cut originally, the legs of the zebra were completely cut off (see picture). Although this didn't occur to me before it was cut, after we saw the results it makes sense, because as you cut deeper (more toward the center of the round part), the parts are going to get closer together and therefore be smaller. Since the preview is flat, this can't be seen on the preview, but is completely obvious when cut on a round part.

So I scrapped the idea of using 3D models with narrow vertical parts in favor of using something that is big enough that if it got 15% smaller it wouldn't be noticeable, which is why I started using grape leaves instead.

Chalk it up to experience. As they say, you learn from your mistakes. Well, I've certainly learned a lot.

As Marty says, "Doctors bury their mistakes. I burn mine."

Best,
Andy
Attachments
zebra w missing legs.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Andy,

I love the bowls you created! Very nice.

A really cool feature in Aspire is that you can use the Distortion Tool to distort 3D models (you cannot do that in VCarve Pro - only vectors).

In the case of your zebra legs, Aspire would allow you to widen the model at the area of the legs to help compensate for the rotary/taper distortion. It would be a bit of trial and error, but wouldn't take long to do (you would use the rotary wrapped 3D preview to check your results after distorting and make additional distortion adjustments until you have the desired result). Just something to keep in mind if you ever decide to upgrade to Aspire - you could carve your animals without cutting off their legs!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Thanks for the tip and the suggestion, Michael. I'll keep it in mind for if we ever upgrade to Aspire. --Andy

sluggo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS 96x48

Post by sluggo »

What a creative design, very nice work!

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Had to post these pictures of one of these bowls made of English Walnut. I love the grain on this!
Andy
Attachments
IMG_20170520_182445935.jpg
IMG_20170520_182453047.jpg
IMG_20170520_182504807.jpg