Box in a box

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
sluggo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS 96x48

Box in a box

Post by sluggo »

I had some scrap wood laying around my shop so I programmed a box with a "wave" pattern perimeter as shown in the first attachment. The plan was to make multiple pieces out of maple and walnut, stack them and then add a lid and bottom. Instead of a rectangular interior, I decided to make the inside of the box in the same fashion as the outside. T he interesting part I noticed was that after seeing the preview, it occurred to me that the interior "waste" piece which I'd normally just throw out could be made into an additional box. Essentially, I get a second, albeit smaller box for free.

To make this, I cut out 2 walnut and 1 maple layers using the tool paths illustrated in the second attachment. This produced 9 pieces, 3 outer wavy pieces, 3 inner wavy pieces and the three rectangular pieces in the center. I discarded the rectangular pieces. Once cut, I glued the 3 pieces of each type (2 walnut pieces sandwiching the maple piece). Then, I cut the same pattern for the exterior profile on 2 additional 3/4" thick pieces, but instead of cutting the interior wavy profile all the way through, I pocketed it. These 2 pieces act as the bottom and lid. One of the problems I always have in gluing multiple layers like this together is that they want to slide around under the pressure of a clamp. To solve that, I placed small 1/8" holes in the design and then drilled them through afterwards. They accept wooden dowels that prevent any misalignment during the glue up process. One other mistake I made is to not acclunt for the thickness of the lid on top of the box. I really needed to make the top walnut layer thicker by the depth of the lip so as you can see, the upper walnut layer appears thinner.

To align the lid to the box, I cut matching lips on the top of the box and bottom of the lip as is seen in the photos. Unfortunately, I messed up and "misplaced" my 1/8" alignment holes (you can see them along the box lip). Live and learn! One last details I added to the lid was to carve some roses into it which i painted with enamel paint. This was an after thought and I wasn't able to align the lid perfectly align the lid so make sure you do this as you are machining the lid.

One note about the radius of the curves - I have an oscillating spindle sander so i chose the radii to match the sanding drums I have. That made it much easier to clean up tool marks once the box is glued together.

I used the same process to make the interior box, but instead of cutting the same profile for the lid and bottom, I simply used a thin pierce of maple with a small rabbit all the way around. I also added an edge detail using a core box bit, but did that on my router table, not the CNC. I find it easier to do edge treatments using conventional ways instead of trying to program every last detail in VCarve Pro.

I'm sure there are easier way to make this, but it worked for me and I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

I've attached the file for anyone interested. Note that I don't use tool path templates, so it may be confusing to follow. I did list the cut sequence I used for each part of the box to make it easier for me as I was cutting them out.

One last note: I think on my next attempt at this box, I'm going to glue the flat stock together and cut it as one piece (except the lids and bottoms) and use positive and negative allowances to provide good clean edges for the various profiles.

Charlie

PS - the VCarve file is too large to upload :-( If anyone wants it, please send a private message and I'll provide it.
Attachments
final profiles for boxes I built
final profiles for boxes I built
outer box
outer box
inner box
inner box
boxes nested together
boxes nested together
outer box w/o cover showing lip for lid
outer box w/o cover showing lip for lid
side view of outer box
side view of outer box

kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Re: Box in a box

Post by kp91 »

Great project! I'd love the file to play around with.
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Beautiful work, I really like the design.
John
Maker of Chips

sluggo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sluggo »

Thanks for the nice words, I appreciate the feedback.

For those who want it and don't have private messaging activated, just send an email to runnerguyinfl@hotmail.com and I will reply with the file.

Charlie

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

That's neat. It would make a great wedding or anniversary gift where you are giving the couple 2 boxes. He gets the smaller inner box and she gets the larger out box. In my case the mean woman I live with would take them both. :)

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

Very creative! Thanks for the detailed explanation and for offering the files.

Andy

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: TS1325

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Waaoo,
Lovely project.

Jane

sluggo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sluggo »

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this thread and via email or private messages. It's always nice to be complimented on your work, especially by some of the regulars on here who post absolutely outstanding work! I aspire (no pun intended :D ) to design and build the quality of projects many of you put on display!

It's come to my attention that I can post a zip file of the project. For some reason, I thought you couldn't put zip files on here. I know that certain email packages will filter them out. Anyway, I've attached the zip and hopefully those that want it will have access.

Thanks again everyone,
Charlie
Attachments
wave_box_in_a_box.zip
Vcarve Pro box in a box project file
(583.94 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: TS1325

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Hello Charlie,