Nut Bowl, or small chip bowl

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
KWiK
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Nut Bowl, or small chip bowl

Post by KWiK »

Here is a bowl I recently finished. I made it from scraps left over from other projects. It is a little small to be called a chip bowl but I thought it turned out reasonable.
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Nut Bowl, or small chip bowl

Post by mtylerfl »

Very nice!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Very nice work! I really like the wood combination.
John
Maker of Chips

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: TS1325

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Hello KWiK ,

That's really awesome work. would you mind sharing the CRV files or how you did this.

Kind regards
Jane

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: TS1325

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Hello KWiK ,

That's really awesome work. would you mind sharing the CRV files or how you did this.

Kind regards
Jane

KWiK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KWiK »

Thanks for the comments all.

Jane, I made the design in Autodesk Inventor, and then imported it to Vcarve. From there it is a basic two sided cut. I wish I could just share the designs I make, but it has taken too much time and expense to get to where I can make designs like this. Not sure what is legal on this forum, and I am not in the business of making and selling designs, but I did sell a copy for what I feel is a very low price on a facebook forum, and I would do the same for you. PM me if interested.

Moderators, If this isn't ok, I apologize and I understand if it gets removed.

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

What I like about the shape of the bowl is that when you are down to the scraps and shreds, you can just tilt it down and pour all the little bits into your mouth and no clean-up. Always thinking!!....joe

Scottybo99
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro

Post by Scottybo99 »

I like it :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Like it, that looks really nice, was that just a random glue up of different woods or did you sit & work it all out when you started on the design? I have watched a number of videos where they spend more time working out the combination & shapes of each piece of wood than they do actually machining it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Results can be quite stunning, my efforts so far have just been to stick some scrap bits of wood together & then see how it turns out :oops:

KWiK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KWiK »

Hi Martin,

This was just scraps I could find that were all about the same height, so it was pretty much random. I have done segmented bowls and such that take more time gluing than machining, but this was just random.

vfauto
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artsian 72"

Post by vfauto »

Could you post the file I would like to see tool paths with cutters,speeds and feeds. I have had no success with that type of project.
KWiK wrote:Here is a bowl I recently finished. I made it from scraps left over from other projects. It is a little small to be called a chip bowl but I thought it turned out reasonable.
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
Thank You
Frank

KWiK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KWiK »

Sorry, like I told Jane, I have a hard time giving away files that are unique and I have spent time working out the design.

I will post the tool summary though. But I am no feed and speed expert, and I have never bothered to get the reported times correct, so the times in this file are probably off.

Hmmm guess we can't upload the html summary's Best I can do is the attached text file which I copied from the summary.

Jane, I got an email saying I got a private message from you a few days ago, but at the moment I am not able to get to my private messages. I have let Vectric Support know about it, but haven't heard back the reason yet.
Nut Bowl Summary.txt
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

but at the moment I am not able to get to my private messages. I have let Vectric Support know about it, but haven't heard back the reason yet.

Private messaging is disabled by default, if you want to be able to use it you need to contact Vectric support & ask them to activate it on your forum account :lol: :lol:

Oh meant to ask in my other post, what woods have you used for this ?? My identification of different wood types is pretty rubbish :oops: :oops:

KWiK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KWiK »

Hi Martin,

The funny thing though is Jane had private messaged me about a week before this last one, and I was able to open it and respond.

Jane, you could just email me kent at kwikwoodworks dot com

So wood types. I am not 100% sure on all of them, but there is purple heart, and either bloodwood or readheart, maple and ash, oak (which I would avoid next time) and mahogany I believe.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Maybe it's some other problem then, I just know that the question has been asked a few times & that is the normal reply by one of the board experts. I think I actually joined the forum before the changes were made as I have been able to private message almost straight after joining the forum.

So wood types. I am not 100% sure on all of them, but there is purple heart, and either bloodwood or readheart, maple and ash, oak (which I would avoid next time) and mahogany I believe

Just out of interest why would you avoid Oak the next time? I have machined a fair bit of Oak & it has always given me pretty good results, I have been told that there are differences between European Oak & American Oak but not sure just how they differ.