First 3 trys

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
DFarr54
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

First 3 trys

Post by DFarr54 »

1st try.jpg
About a week ago I received my AR8 Pro. I'm brand new to CNC and CAD/Vectric software. After watching many tutorials on the Vectrc site and having 3 friends help me lift the monster onto the accessory stand I tried it out this weekend. Project 1 is a simple sign to make sure it worked, Project 2 is a 3D plaque just because and Project 3 is why I bought the machine to begin with. At least that's what I told my wife. I make Adirondack Chairs and I was hoping this would save me time and money. Project 3 is my test pattern on MDF 2'x4'. The plastic wood sheets 4'x8' come in today and I'll post a pick when I assemble the first chair. The only thing I'm having trouble with is how to do a round over on two opposite sides of a rectangle. What tutorial video would show me how to do this?
1st try.jpg
2nd Try.jpg
ADK Chair test.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: First 3 trys

Post by highpockets »

I think you're well on your way to fulfilling your promise to your wife.

Wish my first 3 project had turned out so well. :oops:
John
Maker of Chips

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Ken Tipton »

There are videos on two sided milling but to be honest on parts that large it would be faster to just round them over by hand on a router table. Or possibly round one side on cnc and the second side by hand.

SPalm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SPalm »

My first three project were a lot simpler and messed up than yours. But boy was I proud.

Two sided milling requires locating pins or holes so when you flip it over it goes exactly when you want it. It probably should be reserved for really fancy work. For things like a round over I just use my router table.

Good job and congrats,
Steve

DFarr54
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by DFarr54 »

Thanks for the help. What I need help on is the seat slats. They have a round over on the long side front and back but not on the ends and only on the top side. How do I do this? I do have a router table but I thought I could just add another tool path and do a simple RO on the CNC.

SPalm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SPalm »

Not sure I understand but..
Most round over bits have bearings. CNCs do not like bearings on bits. So take off the bearing (careful) and use that. What I do is chamfer my designs with a Vbit because I usually have one installed somewhere in the tool chain. The Vbit does not have a bearing.

To only do the sides on your slats and not the top, you probably need to make a separate tool path for it. Highlight the design, right click and copy the design to another layer. Switch to this new layer and use node editing and the scissors tool to only keep the long parts of your design. Then use the profile job and this new set of lines to do the chamfering. You can use positive and negative offsets and depth of cut to get different results.

Steve

MTSO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: salecnc XJ1224

Post by MTSO »

I hope that this is useful to you. you want to round over the two long sides of the seat slats on the top face?. if so use a point cutting round over bit (toolstoday sell them), then all you have to do is (my way not necessarily the right way) create a vector along the two edges of your slat that need machining making sure they extend past the end of the slat by at least half the tool diameter and create the tool path.
Use the frame tool path as you can set you toll to cut on the line.
To depth repeat (take multiple cuts due to the radius) use the tool parameters.
you could also use a plunging round over bit from the same company, just make the tool diameter in the tool library the D1 diameter to allow for the plunge part of the bit.
I'm just surmising here as I am not at my machines computer to "remember'. but I think this may put you on the right track. (clear as mud!)
By the way it would be nice to get a picture of you new machine, it certainly looks bright and shiny.

good luck I am looking for to seeing your chairs.

regards

Brian

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Also, look in the Vectric Help guide for adding a "Form Tool" and follow the instructions for your particular round over tool and you will be able to preview the cut and see if it will give you what you want. Of course I would run a test piece, but the preview will get you close...joe

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

While a cnc machine will help with what you do don't forget that it is just another production tool & there are still many jobs that can be done much faster on another piece of machinery that you probably already own :lol: :lol:
I say that because when I first started with the CNC I was trying to do everything on it, yes the machine was capable but often it would have been quicker & easier to use a different tool :lol: :lol: :lol: