Re: Wooden Spoons

Post by llwood »

Thanks, Martin, I will do so.

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

martin54 wrote:If you want to use private messaging or view private messages sent to you then you need to contact Vectric support & ask them to activate private messaging on your forum account :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the suggestion, Martin, but when we contacted Vectric support they said that because my account on the vectric forum uses a different name than the software is registered to (the software is registered in my Dad's name, but when I created a forum account for us, I used llwood for Locust Lane Woodworking and I used a different email address), I will never be able to receive private messages. They write "As your account does not have any software registered to it, I would not be able to promote your forum account to a User of our software."

This is total bullshit as far as I'm concerned. I could have very easily used that name and email address when I created the forum account, but now (5 years later) I don't want to start over. It's not worth it to remove the limitation on the forum account. Perhaps someday Vectric will realize that people use different email addresses for different things.

Incredulous but still respectful,
Andy

olf20
Vectric Wizard

Post by olf20 »

Hi Andy
I made a couple of spoons. Great and thank you.
I have a question about 3d model. I want to cut
two spoons side by side (fewer tool changes)
but when I rotate the spoon / file it inverts the
cutting of the bowl of the spoon. I can not seem
to get it back the way you had it.
Any idea's on why this happens??
Thanks
olf20 / Bob
Heat with corn, Mach3, Bridgeport clone, VcarvePo, Photo VCarve, Craftsman Wood Lathe, Arduino Toys

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Bob, My guess is that when you flipped the bowl, you also flipped the profile vector for the moulding toolpath. When you are editing the moulding toolpath, right-click on the profile vector and select "Reverse Profile." See if that helps. Andy

olf20
Vectric Wizard

Post by olf20 »

Hi Andy
I tried to what you suggested and still can not get the
flipped spoon to cut properly.
I attached the file, any help would be
appreciated. I'm still learning on
moulding.
Thanks
olf20 / Bob
Attachments
wooden spoon large top x 2.crv
(640 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Heat with corn, Mach3, Bridgeport clone, VcarvePo, Photo VCarve, Craftsman Wood Lathe, Arduino Toys

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Bob, apparently when you copied and flipped the vectors for the bowl, you also flipped the profile vector for the moulding toolpath.

I changed the moulding toolpath to use the same profile vector as for the lower spoon. I also changed the gap above the toolpath to adjust for the surface plane.

I hope that helps,
Andy
Attachments
wooden spoon large top x 2fixed.crv
(648.5 KiB) Downloaded 519 times

olf20
Vectric Wizard

Post by olf20 »

Thanks Andy, I played with the old file and finally got it like
what you done.
The only question I have is where does profile vector (little curve line)
come from. I viewed the tutorials and still don't see how they are
developed.
Sorry for my ignorance!
olf20 / Bob

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

No problem, Bob! It took me a while to figure it out also.

A couple things to keep in mind when designing moulding toolpaths.
1. If the drive rail is closed, the toolpath is always cut on the outside of the drive rail. For a closed vector, it is not possible to cut it on the inside. (You can work around this by splitting a closed vector into 2 open ones and having two moulding toolpaths, each of which will cut 1/2 of the shape on the inside, but if it can be cut on the outside, it's simpler because it can be done with one toolpath.)
2. The profile vector defines the shape that will be cut from the drive rail.

I wanted the bowl of the spoon to be oval in shape, so I started with a circle and stretched it out into an oval shape to get the drive rail.
I wanted it to be flat on the bottom and gradually curve up to the top. Attached is a file that shows the side view cross section of the bowl of the spoon (both a drawing in VCP as well as a screenshop closeup of the vector in node editing mode). In the cross section drawing, there is a line for the flat bottom of the spoon, then a curve for the shape of the sides. I thought the bowl should be 1/8" thick, and since the stock is 1/2" (after surface planing), that means the curve is 3/8" thick. I adjusted the curve in node editing mode to meet the flat bottom and to have the amount of slope at the top that looked right. There is some amount of trial and error in this. I mirrored the curve around the center line of the bowl to better visualize the shape. Once the shape looked right, I used the curve from the drawing as the profile vector for the moulding toolpath. Check the preview to see the shape that is created and adjust if necessary.

After I calculated the toolpath, I took a look at the maximum depth of the toolpath (because it wasn't always what I had calculated), and used that value as the depth to flatten the center.

I hope that helps. Let me know if anything here isn't clear.
Andy
Attachments
spoon top w cross section.crv
(322.5 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Side view cross section closeup.JPG
Maximum depth hover.jpg

JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Post by JMD »

llwood wrote:Here are the files for the fork.
Thank you for the files for the fork. Think it is very nice. Would you be willing to share the files for the spoon also?
Thank you, John :?:

Looked a little more and found the spoon. :oops: Thank you

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

Andy and Marty,
Thank you for posting the toolpaths. It started me thinking of how I could design a wooden spoon using only the moulding toolpath. The biggest challenge for me was to get a smooth transition on the bottom where the handle joined the dome. Here's how it turned out:
DCP03058.JPG
DCP03059.JPG
I'm posting two methods I used in the following:
Bob
Last edited by Bob Jr on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

Here is one version:
bob's big spoon.zip
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 629 times
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

Here's version 2.1
This is the one pictured above.
bob's big spoon v2.1.crv
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 504 times
Note: this file was too big to upload, so I removed the toolpaths for the front... It's the same as the one published above anyway. Just check there for that side. The back that's posted here is different.
Next the directions:
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

The directions.
As I note at the end of these directions, It's easier to make the spoon than describe how to make it. Study the crv and the printed directions, scratch your head, and try air cuts first.

Here are two ways to make wooden spoons by using the moulding tool:

Vectric’s moulding tool is an extremely versatile way to make contoured pieces. This task analysis describes two ways that I made wooden spoons using the moulding tool. The idea and preliminary files were posted about 10 months ago on Vectric’s Forum by Ilwood (Andy and Marty). http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... oden+spoon
My additions to his files are not necessarily the best, or only ways, just two that worked for me.
First, the top, concave side. Note: this side was done using exactly the same method for both spoons that I made.
1. Open a new file and select the two sided option.
2. Draw the outline of the spoon and the spoon bowl.
3. Next decide how wide and deep you want the spoon bowl to be. Draw a rectangle with these dimensions. Draw a curved line representing the cross section of one edge of the bowl within the rectangle. I drew a curved line from corner to diagonal corner.
4. Offset the spoon bowl inward by the width of the rectangle from step 3. This gives the drive rail for the inner curve of the spoon bowl.
5. Use the moulding toolpath and select the drive rail from the previous step, then the curved line from step 3. I use the same tool for both operations. Preview the toolpath. Remember that you can reverse both the drive rail, and the profile if needed.
6. There will be an island in the center of the bowl. To remove it, use the pocket tool, set for the proper depth. Use the drive rail from #4 as the outer edge of the pocket.
7. The handle is made similar to the spoon. Begin by determining the profile as in #3. Offset the handle outward by the width determined. Since the handle is not rounded over around the spoon bowl area, I cut the offset vector at the base of the bowl, and used the node editor to curve the ends away from the spoon. This helped to blend the handle with the bowl.
8. Add two registration holes. I used .25” dia. By .25” deep holes for this step.
9. Preview and reverse vectors if needed.
This ends the top part of both spoons.
Next, the back side using the more difficult, but more versatile method:
Version: Bob’s big spoon.
1. Study the crv file while performing this method. Copy all vectors to the reverse side and switch views to the reverse (domed) side.
2. I used the “set object size tool” to increase the width and height of the profile from the other side by .125”. Don’t forget to flip the profile over for the dome shape to work.
3. I used the same profile as the dish on the previous side to be used as a guide rail for the dome on this side. If you preview the dome at this step you will notice that the handle will be cut off.
4. Fix this by removing the portion of the dome that will cut off the handle. You can do the math, or trial and error. I save time by trial and error. This is a great use for the preview function.
5. Now create the handle the same as the other side.
6. Preview, and notice how the handle does not merge smoothly with spoon dome. In this attempt, I fixed this by extending curved lines from the cut out area of step 4 so that they swept out and away from the handle. This helped to make a smoother transition.
This completes the more difficult method.
Now for the easier method for the back side:
Bob’s big spoon v2.0
(At least it seemed easier for me. Your results may differ.)
1. Again, be sure to study the crv while reading about this method.
2. Use the same method as #2. This time, I used the dome profile for both the handle and dome.
3. I offset the outline of the entire spoon inward the same amount as #3 above. By doing this, there was only one profile calculated instead four. You will need to node edit the areas where the profile overlaps on the handle. You may need to offset the handle by less so that you get a correct looking offset.
4. You may end up with two or more offset areas on the entire spoon. What I did to join them was to draw two parallel lines about 1/64” apart down the center of the spoon. I then edited the dome, and handle offsets with the two center lines so that one continuous line formed the dome, handle and handle end as a closed loop.
5. Use the moulding toolpath to combine the drive rail formed in #3 through #4 with the contour from #2.
6. To cut out the spoon use the profile of the spoon for the profile toolpath. Note: The moulding tool would not generate a clearance cut for this operation. In this case, however, the finishing cut worked well without the clearance toolpath.
For both versions of the spoon, I used tabs on the top of the dished portion, and on the middle of the handle portion. You really have to give a good look at the previews to see how and why this is done. It may seem a little strange, but it works. Try different methods of using tabs if you want the adventure, but be sure to use the preview to check your ideas.
Things I learned from this project:
1. It’s possible to make a wooden spoon by using the moulding toolpath tool.
2. It’s easier to make, than explain how it’s made!
…The end…
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell