Re: Wooden Spoons

Postby llwood » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks, Martin, I will do so.
llwood
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Postby llwood » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:48 pm

martin54 wrote:If you want to use private messaging or view private messages sent to you then you need to contact Vectric support & ask them to activate private messaging on your forum account :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion, Martin, but when we contacted Vectric support they said that because my account on the vectric forum uses a different name than the software is registered to (the software is registered in my Dad's name, but when I created a forum account for us, I used llwood for Locust Lane Woodworking and I used a different email address), I will never be able to receive private messages. They write "As your account does not have any software registered to it, I would not be able to promote your forum account to a User of our software."

This is total bullshit as far as I'm concerned. I could have very easily used that name and email address when I created the forum account, but now (5 years later) I don't want to start over. It's not worth it to remove the limitation on the forum account. Perhaps someday Vectric will realize that people use different email addresses for different things.

Incredulous but still respectful,
Andy
llwood
Vectric Apprentice

Postby olf20 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi Andy
I made a couple of spoons. Great and thank you.
I have a question about 3d model. I want to cut
two spoons side by side (fewer tool changes)
but when I rotate the spoon / file it inverts the
cutting of the bowl of the spoon. I can not seem
to get it back the way you had it.
Any idea's on why this happens??
Thanks
olf20 / Bob
[color=#8000BF]Heat with corn, Mach3, Bridgeport clone, VcarvePo, Photo VCarve, Craftsman Wood Lathe[/color]
olf20
Vectric Wizard

Postby llwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Bob, My guess is that when you flipped the bowl, you also flipped the profile vector for the moulding toolpath. When you are editing the moulding toolpath, right-click on the profile vector and select "Reverse Profile." See if that helps. Andy
llwood
Vectric Apprentice

Postby olf20 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi Andy
I tried to what you suggested and still can not get the
flipped spoon to cut properly.
I attached the file, any help would be
appreciated. I'm still learning on
moulding.
Thanks
olf20 / Bob
Attachments
wooden spoon large top x 2.crv
(640 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
[color=#8000BF]Heat with corn, Mach3, Bridgeport clone, VcarvePo, Photo VCarve, Craftsman Wood Lathe[/color]
olf20
Vectric Wizard

Postby llwood » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Bob, apparently when you copied and flipped the vectors for the bowl, you also flipped the profile vector for the moulding toolpath.

I changed the moulding toolpath to use the same profile vector as for the lower spoon. I also changed the gap above the toolpath to adjust for the surface plane.

I hope that helps,
Andy
Attachments
wooden spoon large top x 2fixed.crv
(648.5 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
llwood
Vectric Apprentice

Postby olf20 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:29 am

Thanks Andy, I played with the old file and finally got it like
what you done.
The only question I have is where does profile vector (little curve line)
come from. I viewed the tutorials and still don't see how they are
developed.
Sorry for my ignorance!
olf20 / Bob
olf20
Vectric Wizard

Postby llwood » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:29 pm

No problem, Bob! It took me a while to figure it out also.

A couple things to keep in mind when designing moulding toolpaths.
1. If the drive rail is closed, the toolpath is always cut on the outside of the drive rail. For a closed vector, it is not possible to cut it on the inside. (You can work around this by splitting a closed vector into 2 open ones and having two moulding toolpaths, each of which will cut 1/2 of the shape on the inside, but if it can be cut on the outside, it's simpler because it can be done with one toolpath.)
2. The profile vector defines the shape that will be cut from the drive rail.

I wanted the bowl of the spoon to be oval in shape, so I started with a circle and stretched it out into an oval shape to get the drive rail.
I wanted it to be flat on the bottom and gradually curve up to the top. Attached is a file that shows the side view cross section of the bowl of the spoon (both a drawing in VCP as well as a screenshop closeup of the vector in node editing mode). In the cross section drawing, there is a line for the flat bottom of the spoon, then a curve for the shape of the sides. I thought the bowl should be 1/8" thick, and since the stock is 1/2" (after surface planing), that means the curve is 3/8" thick. I adjusted the curve in node editing mode to meet the flat bottom and to have the amount of slope at the top that looked right. There is some amount of trial and error in this. I mirrored the curve around the center line of the bowl to better visualize the shape. Once the shape looked right, I used the curve from the drawing as the profile vector for the moulding toolpath. Check the preview to see the shape that is created and adjust if necessary.

After I calculated the toolpath, I took a look at the maximum depth of the toolpath (because it wasn't always what I had calculated), and used that value as the depth to flatten the center.

I hope that helps. Let me know if anything here isn't clear.
Andy
Attachments
spoon top w cross section.crv
(322.5 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Side view cross section closeup.JPG
Maximum depth hover.jpg
llwood
Vectric Apprentice

Postby JMD » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:10 pm

llwood wrote:Here are the files for the fork.

Thank you for the files for the fork. Think it is very nice. Would you be willing to share the files for the spoon also?
Thank you, John :?:

Looked a little more and found the spoon. :oops: Thank you
JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro

Previous

Return to VCarve - Gallery