First Knife Scales

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Papa_Paul
Model of CNC Machine: Open Build OX

First Knife Scales

Post by Papa_Paul »

These where made for my son during a recent visit to the UK. (he left the blade in the States to avoid and legal issues). The scales are made of Yew with the center plate being made of Bubinga; which gives a nice contrast. The was also my first attempt at using the texture tool.
Attachments
Knife closed_web.jpg
Knife open on edge 2_web.jpg
Knife open end view_web.jpg

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: First Knife Scales

Post by Xxray »

Impressive work, very nice.
You create the file yourself ?
Doug

Papa_Paul

Post by Papa_Paul »

My son had the plastic scales, which I did scan in; but of course the scan did not come out to the required size. I placed a rectangle around the scanned image and used the node edit mode to get to the final size (very slightly over so that the scales could be handed sanded to final profile). I took three test runs on some scrap material before mirroring the first scale and cutting them. We found that one of the holes on one scale was slightly larger than the other (original scanned image), but took care of the issue on the drill press. Just mentioned it so that you are aware that some times there are differences between the scales.

Thanks for the comments.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Keep up the good work Paul.

I'm tinkering with gun grips, knife scales is something I can see myself getting into, not too complex and lots of room for creativity.
I take it they sell kits with the blade/hardware ect ?
Doug

Papa_Paul

Post by Papa_Paul »

Xxray,

Thanks again.

My son lives in Texas and he purchased the whole knife kit with the metal side plates, blade and all of the required hardware.

I can email him to see were he got it from if you want?

And you are right there is a lot of flexibility to the designs that can be applied.

Cheers Paul

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Naw that Ok thanks, no doubt will be able to find sources if I start looking, never really thought about it until now.
I'd like to make some just for fun, the market is so flooded with nice looking but cheap made in China knives I think they would be a tough sell.
Doug

GregP

Post by GregP »

Wow! nice! Im a blacksmith myself but have not delved into knife making yet. Your work is inspiring.