An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
W3LMR
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt/ 32" x 54"

Amazing Grace Engraving

Post by W3LMR »

Amazing1.jpg
Amazing2.jpg
This project started out as a very old 1" piece of mahogany 28" long & 13" high I ran a pocketed tool path but my end mill was a little dull. It scorched some of the wood. I wanted to make this old hymn look equally as old so I left some of the darken wood as a boarder. I found this project as a pdf file on a Google search. I really liked the older looking font complete with the page number of the this old hymn. The wood even has some beetle holes throughout.
amazing3.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Amazing Grace Engraving

Post by mtylerfl »

That came out great! What bit and feed/speed settings did you use for the notation and lyrics?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

W3LMR
Vectric Apprentice

Post by W3LMR »

Postby mtylerfl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:04 pm
That came out great! What bit and feed/speed settings did you use for the notation and lyrics?

Thanks!! mtylerfl: The bit was a Vbit 60degree 1/2" I had the feed rate at 20" / minute but used the over ride on Mach3 and turned it down to about-12-14" per minute. It took about five hours to Vcarve. I been enjoying looking around for weathered wood and making the projects appear old.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you for the info!!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

SnaykeByte
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro

Post by SnaykeByte »

I have searched and came up short. Could you please provide your source for the crv files for this wonderful piece ?

SnaykeByte

Post by SnaykeByte »

Just a little bump

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

found this project as a pdf file on a Google search.

What search terms are you using, not looked myself but try using PDF as well as Hymn title, also try vector, sometimes helps to weed out some of what isn't suitable. I also use the drop down menus to exclude some of the stuff I don't want.

W3LMR
Vectric Apprentice

Post by W3LMR »

What search terms are you using, not looked myself but try using PDF as well as Hymn title, also try vector, sometimes helps to weed out some of what isn't suitable. I also use the drop down menus to exclude some of the stuff I don't want.

I have searched and came up short. Could you please provide your source for the crv files for this wonderful piece ?

I used Google search Amazing Grace png files then changed that over to pdf files (was easier this way to work with) then over into crv files.

Hope this helps!

W3LMR
Vectric Apprentice

Post by W3LMR »

I am working on my 3rd Amazing Grace Plaque. The one yesterday I gave to my mother in Lancaster PA. On hers I made a picture frame out of walnut and it really seemed to give the plaque a nice depth to it. She is bedridden and this is one of her favorite hymns. The first one went to my 87 year old father-in-law who has shown it to just about everyone at the nursing home! This one today is for my 73 year old neighbor. Most everyone who sees it-has asked me to make them one. I made a mistake in my first posting-the wood is Sapele -it is grown in Africa and looks a lot like Mahogany. The letter Z in Amazing Grace did not cut the depth like all the other letters in Amazing Grace. I used the Vcarve instead of the profile toolpath. Any help in getting my letter Z to cut at the same depth is very much appreciated!!

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

You have copied my post which was actually a reply to the post above mine from SnaykeByte, who is looking for it :lol: :lol:

As for your Z not carving properly it could be down to a problem with the vectors, the depth that a vcarve toolpath will cut is dependant on the width between vectors, if the vectors for that letter are a bit narrower than the rest it won't cut as deep, have you have taken this from a bitmap image & traced it ?

Zoom right in on the z & have a look at the vectors, you might find an odd node or two making it narrower than other letters, just use node editing to move them if that is the case :lol: :lol:

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

Amazing Grace 8 2016.jpg
Your carving looks outstanding to me. I also have carved Amazing Grace for choir member of our church but found a different file to use. I found many different copies of the Hymn to chose from so this is the version I chose to use. My old Shark Pro is on its last legs and not very rigid and I get irregular cuts also. So the hunt for a new machine is on the way.

W3LMR
Vectric Apprentice

Post by W3LMR »

Daniel S Your Amazing Grace looks very nice! I am sure they liked it.

SnaykeByte

Post by SnaykeByte »

I used Google search Amazing Grace png files then changed that over to pdf files (was easier this way to work with) then over into crv files.

Could you please elaborate on this somewhat?

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

SnaykeByte wrote:I used Google search Amazing Grace png files then changed that over to pdf files (was easier this way to work with) then over into crv files.

Could you please elaborate on this somewhat?
Different people work in different ways, W3LMR (sorry don't know their name) preferred to work with PDF files.

On a google search they searched for amazing grace pdf, google would have given a lot of different images based on those search terms, look through them & download the one you would like to carve. Open the software, set up a new job, import the file you downloaded using the "import bitmap for tracing" tool. Trace the bitmap then either turn off the bitmap layer or delete it. You now have a set of vectors that you can carve.
Depending on how well the image traces you may have to do some node editing :lol: :lol:

jjack9485
Model of CNC Machine: shark hd3

Post by jjack9485 »

is there a stl file available for this amazing grace engraving ?