Family plaque

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
cfreitas
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot

Re: Family plaque

Post by cfreitas »

Thank you for the file. I really appreciate it. I have never used painters mask before and I have a couple of questions. Do you put it over the wood then let your bit cut the painters mask and the wood at the same time or do you use a vinyl cutter and cut the painters mask then place it over the wood and run the profile. I am sure I am overthinking this but would appreciate the help.

Thank you.

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor, Aspire 8.014

Post by KeithW »

Thank you for the file! I have a granddaughter getting married and this will be a great thing for her. Much appreciated.

dwwright
Model of CNC Machine: JGRO

Post by dwwright »

cfreitas wrote:Thank you for the file. I really appreciate it. I have never used painters mask before and I have a couple of questions. Do you put it over the wood then let your bit cut the painters mask and the wood at the same time or do you use a vinyl cutter and cut the painters mask then place it over the wood and run the profile. I am sure I am overthinking this but would appreciate the help.

Thank you.
I do a final finish to the surface of the plaque first, so lacquer or paint, then the mask and cut through the Avery paint mask, then color fill the cut areas, finally remove the mask. I have found the mask to be somewhat tacky, so depending on my plaque's finish I'll wax it prior to applying the mask. Let me know if you have other questions.

fred ruppert
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by fred ruppert »

...and when you answer the question of mask, I have another. When I cut through the mask with a downcut bit, it cuts extremely well and there is no lift to the mask. But I am trying to use a 60 degree bit to put get the details of the carving, but the 60 degree/2 flute bit rips the mask and it is difficult to repair. Is there a better film to use that will resist the tearing effect of the 60 degree bit, or a downcut 60 degree bit?

dwwright
Model of CNC Machine: JGRO

Post by dwwright »

fred ruppert wrote:...and when you answer the question of mask, I have another. When I cut through the mask with a downcut bit, it cuts extremely well and there is no lift to the mask. But I am trying to use a 60 degree bit to put get the details of the carving, but the 60 degree/2 flute bit rips the mask and it is difficult to repair. Is there a better film to use that will resist the tearing effect of the 60 degree bit, or a downcut 60 degree bit?
I've been using these 60* spiral v bits, which I believe are down cut, but leaves a clean cut... http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-degree-angle ... 670022842?

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Family Plaque Preview.jpg
V-Bit carved Characters
Family Plaque Preview Raised Characters.jpg
Raised Carved Characters

This is my examples of the Family Plaque. I plan on making several of these for this Christmas for gifts to various family members. Huge Family have to get started extra early!!!

Thank you for providing the original file for this.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by meflick »

Very nice idea for a family plaque. Thanks Sharkcutup for bumping it up with your post. I like what you have done and look forward to seeing your finished pieces. Thanks as well to the OP for sharing their original file. I had not seen this post before. I have downloaded the file to perhaps give it a go myself at some point. I appreciate your sharing.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

20180826_212943.jpg
Family Plaque Carved in 1" thick Pine Board.

The knots did not show up until after the carving had started.

Here is my first Family Plague with V-Carved Text, 3D hearts, and a moulding path Frame around the Plaque.

Took the majority of the day to carve this.

On the next plaque I intend to decrease the depth of the V-Carve text just a little.
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

The actual size of the plaque in the previous post is 22" x 22". Two 1" thick pine stair treads (11.25" by 48") glued together with biscuits.

***Note: About the biscuits --- I actually had to increase/change the depth of the project by 1/16" to get past one of the biscuits. I had forgotten about those until one became visible during the carving operations yesterday. Then had to go back to design and add 1/16" to the depth before moving on to the rest of the tool paths of the project.

I now have to decide how to proceed with the finish of this plaque.

Any Suggestions???

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

Thanks for the file it is very kind to share. I will carve some for my family soon.
(To sharkcutup) I usually just joint and edge glue wood panels without biscuits and have not had any issues. I only use biscuits for alignment and prefer domino joinery for strength.
Dan.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

(To sharkcutup) I usually just joint and edge glue wood panels without biscuits and have not had any issues. I only use biscuits for alignment and prefer domino joinery for strength.
Dan.
Thank You for your response/input!

Yeah well In this particular scenario (when the biscuit appeared it was just a big surprise :roll: ) I had just evenly spaced biscuits (5) in a 48" long span and it was not until during the carving process a biscuit appeared :roll: and it then dawned on me that the biscuits were not even considered during the design process in V-Carve or the overall project layout. In the future I could do one of three things:

1.) Glue together without the use of Biscuits
2.) Space the biscuits so that they will not come into play during carving operations
3.) Do as I had done -- evenly space the biscuits and allow for them in my carving design process in V-Carve

Note: I use the biscuits for strength and board alignment as both boards are clamped/squeezed together. Board alignment is the biggest concern overall. Keeps me from having to do the extra step of either sanding the glued uneven seam or worse case Scenario CNC carving the entire board surface flat for an uneven glued seam.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Nazarene
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD

Post by Nazarene »

I am looking for the file to down load the family plaque. Can anyone direct me to it?
Thank You

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Nazarene wrote:I am looking for the file to down load the family plaque. Can anyone direct me to it?
Thank You
Its at the bottom of the original post, been downloaded 1427 times :lol: :lol:

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Very nice sign and work. Thanks so much for sharing. I really like threads like this one!

I just had to try this. Done mine with simple pine and stained with a early american stain then hand painted the family letters.
Attachments
IMG_20181225_154617.jpg

marshallcnc
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor

Post by marshallcnc »

Great file! I've made 2 and both sold when I posted. Thanks for sharing!
Family - Black 1.jpg
Family - Cherry 1.jpg