I don't normally post in the gallery but thought I had better put this one in as I had already asked some questions about cutting with or against the grain. This is taken from a vectric project by Michael. It is slightly larger than the original & the dome is a little flatter, that was actually an error, I thought I had to reduce the height of the dome because I was adding a component to it which I didn't have to do. Front & back are Yew which I had never machined before but was very pleased with results, there are a few cracks/splits which I couldn't avoid. I picked up a few bits of yew at a good price because of this damage, with some projects I think they actually help to enhance the finished item (give it a bit of character) but don't think they really help in this case. The 2 centre pieces are beech, I wanted a contrasting colour & had a bit of beech that happened to be the right sort of size & thickness, quite often I will use hornbeam or lime if I want a light coloured wood but I felt that this bit of beech was light enough. front & back are finished with Danish oil & the whole thing coated with clear varnish once glued together. I didn't want to coat the beech with Danish oil as it darkens the wood & I wanted to try & keep the contrast.
Just to give an idea how much Danish oil can darken a wood this picture is of a holder I made from the same piece of beech as the vase centres, the holder was given 3 coats of Danish oil as a finish.
That looks really nice, would you mind sharing the file? If not I understand but I do like your's alot. If you can but want to leave out the 3d file, that's fine, I have plenty to add to it. Thanks for sharing, I have to get better at that myself and will starting doing so soon.
All I did was increased the size a little to fit the board width I had & added a 3d model instead of v carving & doing the inlay. The model is one of the ones that come with VCP8, all I did was place it & enlarge it to suit the front of the vase
Thanks for the comments People, I do plan to have a go at the original inlay project but with a different vcarve design to the original. Having decided to use Yew for the back & front of this one I felt it would look better overall with a carved model rather than an inlay. With the colouring in the wood & an inlay I think there would have been to much going on
I have some Oak which is fairly plain so will use that for an inlay vase, just need to sort out a suitable design, probably keep the same Celtic theme on it though.
If this works out anything like the Paradise Box I will end up making quite a few of them at different sizes
I doubt if these are really meant to hold a liquid but I did coat the inside. What I did was to glue the 2 centre pieces together first, then I taped all the contact points on front, back & centre part to prevent them being covered. The inside of all parts were coated the same as the outside so danish oil for front & back & clear varnish for centre. Once the parts were dry I removed the tape & did the final glue up. I did use an exterior wood glue so in theory it should hold water
If I were to do one that was capable of holding water I would probably use the same process to ensure the whole of the inside was coated properly but use a more suitable coating.