Another edge lit

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Another edge lit

Post by Samson »

These things are difficult to photograph.
It's time to start making some bases for these. I just cobbled together a box for this one.

mpol0717
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds ox

Re: Another edge lit

Post by mpol0717 »

Looks good! I'm about to try my first edge lit but would like to pick your brain. What bit do you use, feeds and step over? Also, which bit and feeds are you using to cut the edge? I've ordered a diamond drag bit, which I've read creates good results. Thanks.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Here is an older thread chock full of useful info on edgelits

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17065

Some links may be dated, most info still relevant.
Drag bits work great, as do vbits and engraving bits if you get the depth right. For cutout any sharp endmill will do.
Doug

gad5264
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: GarageWorX 18"x24"' using VCarvePro V10

Post by gad5264 »

Thanks Xxray
Grant "gad5264"
Westerville, OH

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Remember to mirror the image and cut it on the back side. If you cut it on the front, the reflection from the back will give you a double image.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Samson
Vectric Wizard

Post by Samson »

mpol0717 wrote:Looks good! I'm about to try my first edge lit but would like to pick your brain. What bit do you use, feeds and step over? Also, which bit and feeds are you using to cut the edge? I've ordered a diamond drag bit, which I've read creates good results. Thanks.
I used the In-Groove 60 deg. v-bit, .002, 30imp for the engraving and a spiral "O" bit for plastics for the profile.
It was spitting out nice chips and no melting to my surprise.

I haven't invested in the diamond drag bit yet. After contacting the seller on Ebay, he said those are seconds. I don't like the sound of that.
I have the materials and a model of one that I will eventually get around to making. I just don't have a need for it right now.

Tundraman
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Techno Isel 3'x4' Gantry III

Post by Tundraman »

After contacting the seller on Ebay, he said those are seconds. I don't like the sound of that.
I have had one from for a long time and it works perfectly. Have used on acrylic, aluminum, trophy plates and granite counter top cut offs (very light markings). Don't know if they have always been seconds but has worked great for me. Got mine from the link Xxray provided several years back from EBay have never regretted it!

Good Luck,
Scott

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Same guy is still there, don't know if this is who you are referring to

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-DIA-DIAMOND ... Zz3dSMEE6g

These work great, you'd have to have $$ to burn to pay the $100 more others are asking.
Doug

mpol0717
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds ox

Post by mpol0717 »

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys!

Samson
Vectric Wizard

Post by Samson »

Xxray wrote:Same guy is still there, don't know if this is who you are referring to

These work great, you'd have to have $$ to burn to pay the $100 more others are asking.

That's a different one than I seen on there. I'll contact him with my questions. Thanks for the link.

I don't have $$ to burn, but I am willing to pay a little for a good quality tool with good customer service.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Samson wrote:
Xxray wrote:Same guy is still there, don't know if this is who you are referring to

That's a different one than I seen on there. I'll contact him with my questions. Thanks for the link.

I don't have $$ to burn, but I am willing to pay a little for a good quality tool with good customer service.

I have handled and used the more expensive drag bits, they don't offer any better quality or advantages - If they did then I'd have one, I rarely ever scrimp out on tooling. The only slight advantage is you can change spring pressure on the fly without having to take out the bit, with this one you have to take out the bit. In the years I have used it I have changed spring pressure once, so thats a feature that will rarely if ever be used.
As far as customer service, you don't need any with this thing, it is a simple, well made tool that will last indefinitely. Tips last for 100's of projects and etch plexi, metal, marble, mirrors and more. When they wear to a point where they no longer etch reliably, you just stick in a new tip. [Those are about $25-$30, wouldn't hurt to order a spare tip with the bit while ordering].
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I wouldn't be without a drag bit having used one, bought mine in the UK because shipping & import duty would probably have been as much as the bit itself :lol: :lol:
If you are charging correctly for the work your doing just put the profit for the next couple of jobs to one side & it's paid for :lol: :lol:

I have both carbide & diamond tips for mine, can't see any difference in the finished parts myself but obviously the diamond tip is going to last a lot longer.

tatinc2000
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homegrown

Post by tatinc2000 »

That ebay link is the exact one I have. It's preformed excellently on plexi, aluminum, and stainless.