Picture Frame Clamps

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Picture Frame Clamps

Post by dighsx »

I got drafted into making a bunch of picture frames. One of the biggest problems I have with frames is clamping them so the joints are tight and square. The other day at the local hardware store I saw a clamping system that used a mesh strap and corner blocks. They wanted $45 for the setup. I took one look at it and thought I can make that. So I did. I used 3/4 plywood and bought a pack of 4 straps on sale for $11. I first made a set of corner blocks with a pretty big hole in the center. But after trying them out you can see it doesn't spread the pressure out evenly enough over the joint. So I changed the design and now they work great. I could see using these for all sorts of clamping jobs.

Once again further proof that VCarve isn't just for VCarving, the 2D tools make it a very useful package. And it can save you money; I used two scraps of plywood plus $11 for the straps vs. $45 for one commercial strap clamp at the hardware store.

If anyone wants the crv file let me know and I'll post it up.
Attachments
IMG_6045.JPG
(700.81 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
IMG_6046.JPG
(310.42 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
IMG_6047.JPG
(296.85 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

I like it! :)

Does it square the frame at the same time (how good)?

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

You can get the frame really square using them. What I've found works is you glue up the joints. Then put the blocks in place and apply some pressure with the strap. Now you can adjust the joints for square and fit. Then apply a pretty good amount of pressure and recheck everything. Two things make this setup really good, one you can hold all four corners at the same time. And second the pressure is applied evenly across all corners. It makes putting together frames a snap. If you cut your miters at the right angle and everything is true, once you start applying pressure all you’re really doing is just lining things up and everything takes care of itself.

Here’s the crv file. Make a set and you’ll see what I mean.
Attachments
corner block v2.crv
(220 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)