I was asked by a customer to do a scenario tabletop for his Warhammer 40k game nights. For reference, here is the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000
After downloading Blender and watching a 5 min tutorial on how to use the A.N.T landscape creation tool, I spent about an hour randomly clicking buttons until I came up with this:
The customer was happy with the concept, so I saved it as an STL and imported it directly into V-carve 8. I thought about trying out the slice function for the first time, but since the total model height was less than 4" (the max material thickness I can cut on my CNC), I set it up to cut all as one piece. In hindsight, using the slice function would probably have been better, and also would have resulted in less waste cutting.
I went down to the local hardware store and picked up some rigid insulation foam (2") and some foam adhesive. Again in hindsight I should have just used the Elmer's glue I keep on hand, since the foam adhesive was a pain to work with and the seams turned out awful.
Anyways, after letting the adhesive cure for a couple of days I was ready to start cutting. 3 hours on the CNC (what a mess cutting this foam makes!) and 1.5 hours of patching seams and sanding and I had this:
The bare foam, while fantastic to sand and shape, is very easy to damage. I coated the whole surface with watered down wood glue to increase the surface durability and strength. Once that was dry, I applied two coats of latex acrylic primer. I'm hoping the primer will sufficiently protect the foam, allowing me to use solvent based finishes in the next step.
The seams are still somewhat visible, but I'm confident I will be able to blend them in when I apply the textures and finishes on Monday.