Harley Eagle Plaque

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
BOOMER52
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Self designed & built...

Re: Harley Eagle Plaque

Post by BOOMER52 »

It appears that Harley Davidson is again an active topic. I have quite a few designs I have created years ago and I hope sunshinejim won't mind my hijacking his thread... but anyone wanting any of my designs I'll happily provide the Aspire files. They are all v-carved but were created in the Aspire .*crv3d format... and the last two incorporate some photo v-carve but still ALL using Aspire...
Attachments
HarleyAntiqueSignONE.jpg
HarleyAntiqueSignTWO.jpg
HarleyAntiqueSIGNTHREE.jpg
Harley AntiqueSignFOUR.jpg
DualHDAntiqueSign.png

BOOMER52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BOOMER52 »

Here are a couple more Harley designs... and I also have one for an Indian...
Attachments
DSCF1819.JPG
DSCF1822.JPG
IndianMotorcyclesChest.jpg

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

i can never have enough eps files so post away.

gtnbrde3
Model of CNC Machine: cnc shark 69th anniversary

Post by gtnbrde3 »

Very Nice Work.
If you will sell the file? i would like to buy a copy.

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PAE 110SD Series/Mach3 Software

Post by knowlzy0791 »

joejinky wrote:A word to the wise, from someone who used to run a motorcycle towing service in southern CommieFornia.

Harley Davidson is VERY protective of anyone reproducing their LOGO without their "blessing." If you make ONE to hang on your wall, they won't b*tch (much.) But if you are caught selling them online or at a swap meet, they will come down on you with threats of lawsuits like you won't believe. You cannot imagine how many lawyers they keep on speed dial! A friend who ran a competitive towing service just put the Harley LOGO in one corner of his first box of business cards, with Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, BMW and Ducati strewn elsewhere around the card. Harley saw the card and sent him a letter with a threat of a $10,000.00 lawsuit for "illegally" using the Harley LOGO on his business cards ... for a motorcycle towing service! :o He went through the box of 1,000 cards and stuck a gold star over the LOGO to pacify the attorneys.

So if you make these, give (or sell) them only to trusted friends on a private basis with threats of certain death to anyone who tells anyone who made it.

Posts like the one above will rain Harley Hell down upon you! :roll:

(Psssssttt.... send me the cut file! :lol: )
I have often wondered what the rules were on this. I made a "Glock" box without even thinking and used the Glock "G". Work was fast to tell me that we are not to use ANY logos or slogans that could be or are registered.

Does anyone know of any "rules" or laws pertaining to this issue, or know how to get rights to use certain emblems and logos?

The box has unfortunately been destroyed because of the issue.

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Samson 510 CNC Plasma Table

Post by joejinky »

knowlzy0791 wrote: I have often wondered what the rules were on this. I made a "Glock" box without even thinking and used the Glock "G". Work was fast to tell me that we are not to use ANY logos or slogans that could be or are registered.

Does anyone know of any "rules" or laws pertaining to this issue, or know how to get rights to use certain emblems and logos?
I am not a lawyer, and frankly, I don't care what people use in their creative efforts, but generally speaking, anything that is created has a copyright. The courts don't look at using it for the church picnic, but when a person begins to use anything commercially (read: for profit) without the consent of the creator, it gets into the arena of copyright infringement.

We all download lots of TTF fonts and use them without thinking about whether or not we have the rights to use them. Did you know that every font has a copyright, and if you are making signs with a font (ANY font) without expressed permission to use that font, you are violating the copyright? Technically, you are supposed to acquire the rights to use that font, and there are limitations on how you can use it.

For instance, you might have the rights to a font, and you make a sign for a client. They ask, "Can you send me that font? We want to use it in our brochures too!" You may have the legal right to use the font in YOUR work, but that does not allow you to pass permission of use to your client.

I know ... LAWYERS! Well, there are "ambulance chasers" for car accidents ... and there are COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT chasers who do the same thing.

Example:

http://www.higbeeassociates.com/practic ... aQodFzkMGw

I am not trying to throw a wet blanket into the tent, but ....

From their website:

What is Copyright Infringement?

Copyright infringement is the unlawful use of an authored work without the owner’s permission in the form of a license through various forms of distribution or publication such as websites, magazines, or other printed material.
How Do I Get Paid from the Copyright Infringer?

You may be entitled to receive up to $30,000 for unintentional infringement (defendant didn’t realize that they were infringing on a copyright) and up to $150,000 for willful infringement (defendant knew that they were infringing on a copyright).

We are able to get a settlement without even going to court in 80% of our copyright infringement cases. This means you will get your money faster. If we do need to fight for your case in court we will also handle that whole process.

No matter what happens with your case, you won’t have to pay anything out of pocket. It doesn’t cost you anything for us to handle your case. We simply receive compensation through a portion of the settlement. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

What is Copyright and what can be protected?

Copyright is a legal form of exclusive protection for authors of published and unpublished tangible expressions of work. Examples of protected works may include those that are literary, musical, dramatic, choreographic, pictorial, graphic, sculptural, audio visuals, motion pictures, sound recordings, and architectural. Copyright protection is applicable to original work and compilations and derivative works to the extent that protection is available on the material contributed by the author, and not the preexisting material of the work.

What types of work will not be protected?

Works that will not be protected include those that are intangible, such as ideas, procedures, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, discovery, regardless of whether any of the above is expressed through tangible means. Additionally, any work by the United States Government is not protected under copyrights law, except for the copyrights transferred to it by assignment, bequest, or otherwise.

How long will a copyright protection last?

In general, copyright protection exists throughout the lifetime of the author, plus 70 years after the author’s death.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsk7y47ff

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by joejinky »

With our modern computers, it is SO EASY to "snag" an image from the Internet, and turn it into a beautiful piece of work. Sadly, in nearly all such incidents, unless you are the author of the work (art, font, music, literature, photograph, etc.) use of the cool thing you found on the Net is a copyright infringement. :roll:

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

joejinky wrote:With our modern computers, it is SO EASY to "snag" an image from the Internet, and turn it into a beautiful piece of work. Sadly, in nearly all such incidents, unless you are the author of the work (art, font, music, literature, photograph, etc.) use of the cool thing you found on the Net is a copyright infringement. :roll:
With this isn't there a "loophool" of sorts about changing the image or design to an extent?

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by joejinky »

knowlzy0791 wrote:
joejinky wrote:With our modern computers, it is SO EASY to "snag" an image from the Internet, and turn it into a beautiful piece of work. Sadly, in nearly all such incidents, unless you are the author of the work (art, font, music, literature, photograph, etc.) use of the cool thing you found on the Net is a copyright infringement. :roll:
With this isn't there a "loophole" of sorts about changing the image or design to an extent?
Again, I am NOT a lawyer. however I do believe that if you change the design of something by "greater than 10%" you have effectively created something "new" and you have not violated any copyright.

I KNOW that our attitude is, "Screw them! I'm not hurting anyone by using this image!" but in fact, if YOU make your living as an artist, or a graphic designer, or a composer, or an author ... and YOU were the person who created the graphic or font that is now being reproduced all across the country, allowing thousands of people to profit from it while you do not see a dime of money for that use, I assure you that your attitude would be quite different!

Interesting article on this topic:

http://blog.crowdspring.com/2011/03/font-law-licensing/

Another short read on the subject:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... o_font_lic

I am not telling anyone to change the way they do things. The sign business is all about producing an eye-popping sign, using fonts and graphics and light and color. However, just KNOW that MOST of what is done in the small sign shops around the country would be viewed by the courts as blatant copyright violations, IF someone were to press the issue.

There is a difference between having the ABILITY to use something in your work, and having the RIGHT TO USE IT in your work.

Even when you pay for an art disk full of images, and along with that disk comes the right to install those images onto ONE computer at your shop ... when you copy the disk to your laptop, and to your home PC (for "convenience") , you are violating the EULA (End User License Agreement)

I have two 5x10 CNC tables. I have been searching for artists who can create original artwork for me and SELL me that artwork and the exclusive right to use that artwork for any purpose, so that I can run the router table and plasma table (and future laser table :mrgreen: ) using my own art without worrying about copyright infringements.

Ask a photographer sometime, about "simply scanning and reproducing" that one single 8"x10" photo you have, that he produced. He will charge you for the portrait session, and you will receive ONE 8"x10" portrait, if that is all you paid for. Run to Kinko's and produce 100 copies for all of your friends and relatives, and you WILL hear from that photographer. You paid for ONE photograph, but the Right to reproduce that photograph remains with the photographer. When you call him and ask for more copies, he will tell you they are $ ##.## each, because HE still owns that photograph. You just own one copy.

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

Good grief that's a lot of legislation over differently written letters lol.

So after reading (just the top article) my question would be, how does a company (say vectric) have a "right" to issue the fonts if they did not create them (such as Times New Roman and all the other "default" fonts on every word processor or word program, ever) and then give a EULA to give more people "rights" to use them?

This seems like typical U.S. Gov legislators not doing anything productive and getting paid for it lol.

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

there was a time that i thought that fonts came with the software and i was proven wrong. the fonts that show up in aspire are the fonts that you have on your computer.

Now i do like the below comment.
This seems like typical U.S. Gov legislators not doing anything productive and getting paid for it lol.

cncjohn
Model of CNC Machine: CNCShark Pro PLUS HD

Post by cncjohn »

Sunshinejim

I was wondering how much better is SMI Commercial than the trace features in V-Carve?

Sometimes I will change jpg files in Microsoft Paint before I import into V-Carve.3

Also is there anyone else using SMI Commercial.

John

BOOMER52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BOOMER52 »

I've started gathering my Harley files and this is the first batch. ALL of these are single v-carve tool paths using a 90 deg v-bit...
Attachments
HDAntiqueRetro1.jpg
HDAntiqueRetro1.eps
(432.95 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
HDAntiqueRetro2.jpg
HDAntiqueRetro2.eps
(433.25 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
HDAntiqueRetro3.jpg
HDAntiqueRetro3.eps
(474.03 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

BOOMER52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BOOMER52 »

Another batch... more will follow as I locate and gather...
Attachments
HDRetroModern.jpg
HDRetroModern.eps
(777.53 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
HDwayneBartonStyleRoundel.jpg
HDwayneBartonStyleRoundel.eps
(281.8 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
HDengineLogoRadFlutes.jpg
HDengineLogoRadFlutes.eps
(85.32 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard