Sterling inlay

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Sterling inlay

Post by glenninvb »

It's not much but figured I'd show. Decided to inlay the sterling initials I test cut the other day in a little Padauk bracelet tag...... as usual Vectric's inlay tool works perfect as expected. Used a .001 allowance just incase and when I laid the metal on the cut blank, I said "no way is this going to fit...... but starting at one end it snapped in"... snug I might add!
Oh, the initials are my Daughters. Ordered some jewelry parts and will show when complete.
Attachments
Bracelet tag.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Sterling inlay

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Sweet! :D
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Nice Glenn!! :)
For some reason I thought I couldn't do Sterling?
What bit...and pass depth etc. did you use?
Just found some "Fine" Silver 1 ouncers I forgot I had, and MAY try playing with:)
Thanks for posting!!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

Thanks, Randall

Scott,Thanks
I think fine silver is too soft to machine?...... needs the copper, dead soft sterling seems to route good.
I couldn't really find good info on F/S... I set a conservative 10ipm and 4ipm plunge and of course remembered when running, the plunge rate on spiral ramp is pretty much the feed ........ I said the bit was .010 dia. but actually the tips are metric and is .0118 .......used .004 doc. 7 passes on .024 material. 4 ipm on spiral ramp seems be good start. I tried these inexpensive bits, they seem OK.......did priority mail 6.95 and they came in darn nice 50 hole storage box........ saw later they did have .010 dia. #87

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151630210932?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the feed/speeds Glenn.
Got some TEENY bits I was going to use for a 360 brass branding iron I've never gotten around too:(
Use Drillmans stuff on exotics all the time now, and order regularly, so good to know...Thanks.
"Fine" silver can't be any softer than that silly 99.999+Tin I've got(Dad just dropped 15 pounds off, but haven't melted any yet) but that International Trade Unit I found has a perfect blank spot on the backside(even has a border already:) ) so may mess with a VCarve(.125"Kyocera) anyways just to putz. It's a little too thick for my bits CEL I think. Only Sterling in house is some roughly .25" round I may Planish hammer thin and then anneal and try.
ALL in the future....just nice to keep in the back of my tiny brainpan for the future.
Thanks again for the Ballpark #'s !
I'll let you know how the "Fine" goes.
May try Dopping wax first(before epoxy) just because I have a lot, and more familiar with it.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

Scott,
I'll add, Used 25000 rpm...and I use .0035 thick paper as feeler when zeroing Z to metal surface (w/micro bits) get friction and bump down .003 w/ remote pendant.
Don't know about cutting soft metal, guess as long as cutting and not plowing? The 360 brass cuts great, just watch for heat if using larger bits and wax for hold down and cutting dry.......... pretty sure your not spraying lube on your pretty table :shock:

Being your the "button master" using many species
What wood is about the color of Padauk w/o the deep open grain...... that little tag was a pain to grain fill and spray w/ 4k auto urethane, but its shiny

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks! 18K is max here on spindle. NOPE, dry cutting only, but all small bits and a high temp green dop wax that you chuck in the freezer and stones pop off clean.(Yeah, I do tend to baby it:)
Did pop the tiny bit in for kicks and giggles and used my Z-plate with no problem. Also .125" 30's with the .006" flat I do it regularly and it's my most accurate method.
Probably Bloodwood? Very dense but cuts beautifully with those Kyocera's in his $4 engraving bits(2F .0125"flat). Does vary from a month old Padauk color to rich red to very red Mahogany color, BUT it stays that color pretty much unlike Padauk and can stand the wear/tear of jewelry better and won't bleed onto light fabric like Padauk does. It sinks in water....so that gives you a clue:) REAL color comes out when finished like the darker pic.
These guys have been GREAT, and very consistent as far as good quality.
http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_l ... #Bloodwood
Attachments
BCS 001 BLOODWOOD RAW FIRST PASS.jpg
BCS OO1 BLOODWOOD 4.jpg
CELTIC WHITESIDE .5D .25R POINTED ROUNDOVER.jpg
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Glen,
Should have looked better at pics before uploading, as you probably noticed(I felt an idiot), that last pic is Padauk:(
Here's Padauk/Bloodwood side by side after 5 months in a sunny room with 3 coats linseed.
Oh, Did you use adhesive to hold it in Padauk ?
scott
Attachments
PADAUK BLOODWOOD LINSEED SAME AGE FRONT.jpg
PADAUK BLOODWOOD LINSEED SAME AGE BACK.jpg
R.N.

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

Thanks Scott, you always go the extra mile for people :)

I've bought Bloodwood from Ocooch......... can't remember what I used for? maybe a bowl? may still have small piece?.... It does machine nice and has tight grain
Thanks Again
Glenn

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

No "Bling" for the Daughter.. natural and rustic like she likes, "I think"
Attachments
natural beads.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

If she doesn't appreciate it(even if only for the thought and labor) She's Nuts! :)
Tiger-Eye and the knotting(Nice) make a nice blend and it looks comfortable!
Great job Glenn :)
R.N.

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

Scott,
Thanks, She seemed to like very much and she's artistic and "honest"..... especially liked the knot work, I told her, "sorta like hanging floats on a gillnet"... back in the day..... She did say something about making some for sale...... I just :lol:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Kinda like cars.....$10 part=$300 labor :D
She won't see another like it though:)
Glad she liked it!!
scott
My first cribbage board timed out as $900:) of course $150 of that was 2 hours of cussing :)
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Glenn,
saw on Etsy trashmail today, and couldn't resist:)
Maybe at $210? But the rest on the similar items went from $22 Up....You'd go broke being busy :)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/207883682/ ... pe=gallery
Attachments
GLENNS NEW BIZ.jpg
R.N.

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

Scott,
That's neat!
I wouldn't go broke except for buying and giving all that gold away!....... like CarveOne, Its mostly just a hobby for me. I probably should charge friends for stuff like 5x20' signs though :shock: ... at least they do pay for materials, and it keeps me outa trouble. It all works out in the end.... as I do have access to a fleet of boats (and other amenities) that I hardly take advantage of...... but if I decide to take the wife Marlin fishing, just got to say the word. The barter system works great, especially if nothing in return is expected. Although my favorite expression is "no good deed goes unpunished" :lol: ..... kinda cynical, I know :twisted: