Layered wings Design

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Layered wings Design

Post by llwood »

Layered Wings Design 5.JPG
The wings on this "winged heart" are layered, giving a 3D quality of some feathers being on top of others.

Name removed (photoshopped out) to protect confidentiality.

Design by Andy, Cutting and Finishing by Marty, a father/son team at Locust Lane Woodworking
Last edited by llwood on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Re: Layered wings Design

Post by llwood »

Layered Wings Design 4.JPG
Layered Wings Design 3.JPG
Here are a few closeups of the texturing.

--Andy

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Layered Wings Design 1.JPG
Layered Wings Design 2.JPG
And a larger version we did, in Ash.

--Andy

bluridg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bluridg »

very impressive. could you give more info about how you accomplished this "layering" ? bluridg

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Sure, I'd be happy to. I'll even upload the .crv file.

I got the wings design from a website that has vector clip art. I combined it with the heart in VCP.

For the wings, I made each layer 1/8" deeper than the next. There are 3 toolpaths for each "layer". I first flattened the layer with an end mill, then outlined each feather and the spine in the middle with a vbit. However, when i did this originally, I noticed that because each layer was deeper than the last, when the vbit was carving the pattern on one layer, it cut into the end of the last layer. In order to avoid this, I had to offset the vbit cuts. The drawing has a gap between the feathers of each layer, however, you don't notice the gap in the preview. I hope this answers your question. Let me know if it doesn't.

I was unable to upload the file, because the maximum upload size is 2M. My file is more than 5M. I may be able to simplify it enough to get it down to 2M, but I don't know. I'll see what I can do.
--Andy

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

OK, I was able to get it down to less than 2M, but I had to delete the left half of the wings in order to do so. You can still see the layering, but it's only the right side. I also deleted some other toolpaths as well. This one is cut out right around the wings rather than having a frame like the last one. I will upload the .crv file now.

--Andy
Attachments
One layered wing.crv
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 775 times

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

one wing2.jpg
Preview of the .crv I just uploaded, showing the layering.

--Andy

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Andy, Really interesting watching the preview :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

bluridg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bluridg »

andy, thanks for explanation. for some reason, unable to download crv. very impressed by your ingenuity, and ability to see what's not there yet. will try later to download. ted

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Thanks, Ted.

I'm surprised you haven't been able to download, because others have obviously been able to download successfully. When I look at the .crv file now, it says that it has been downloaded 86 times. I hope you have better luck next time.

--Andy

bluridg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bluridg »

andy, it just downloaded. this software is amazing. I've stretched the limits a few times, but hadn't seen this. the work is good but the method is very good. thanks for sharing. any idea how long it took to create? from what you wanted to do, to ready to cut? ted

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

wings original.jpg
showing offset vectors.jpg
wings offset.jpg
Gosh, thanks, Ted. I'm flattered.

When we walk along the beach and see a smooth, polished rock, we may not think about all the centuries that that rock was pounded by the waves to get so polished. What I uploaded is a polished rock.

The actual design took a huge amount of time (several days on this project alone). I'm embarrassed to acknowledge how long it took, mostly because I figured it out through trial and error. After I started making toolpaths, I noticed that each layer cut into the previous layer, so I had to calculate how much offset was needed for a 60 degree vbit to not cut into the previous layer, then offset and trim the vectors accordingly. And since the heart is at the surface, each subsequent layer is deeper relative to the heart, and so had to be offset more from the heart. It took bloody forever to do all the offsetting of all these vectors. I'll upload 3 pictures, the original vectors, a view showing all the offset vectors I drew, and the final, trimmed vectors.

One thing that made it easier is the symmetry. I would only edit on the right side and then create a mirrored copy to create the left side. The keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Shift-H, which does this, made this a lot easier.

I have to admit I'm really happy with how it came out. Not bad for a "Vectric Apprentice." :wink:

bill565
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: One of those "Practical"4x4s

Post by bill565 »

Thanks for the upload. I found it a great process you came up with and answered a couple of questions I had to boot.

Great Job.

Bill
Save the Whales, Collect the Whole Set
http://www.bcnc-fab.com

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

Great job. I downloaded the one wing and made the other half. Carved a sample in 3/4 material and came out great. Have a idea I want to try. Thanks.

Dave

PeteC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix FireBall Comet

Post by PeteC »

Great Job!
Bigfoot