I finally got my online store going

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro

I finally got my online store going

Postby ChrisInEstes » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:01 pm

I just launched my Etsy store. I only have 2 styles of beer tap handles in it so far. More stuff to come! I welcome feedback, so if you see something I should be doing differently, let me know.

Store link:--> https://www.etsy.com/shop/SunnyMeadWoodArts

Here's a couple pics.

Chris
Attachments
1 Front.jpg
4 Front.jpg
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle
ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Re: I finally got my online store going

Postby PaulRowntree » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:53 pm

Good luck Chris!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com
PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Postby glenninvb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:42 pm

Chris,

Wish you the best, and "Happy New Year"

That's some nice looking walnut
glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Postby Ken Rychlik » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:08 pm

I would suggest personalized tap handles. Carve their name into it with special orders. Someone being able to get their custom handle would probably sell.
Custom CNC Cutting with 5x10 Scorpion ATC
Local Machine Repairs and Programming
Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: 5x10 Ezrouter Scorpion

Postby zeeway » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Great idea. Agree that names would enhance offering: Joe's Taproom, etc. Also you could provide handles with team logos, etc.

Angie
zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Postby FixitMike » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Note that team logos are copyrighted. You need their permission to use them. Especially on items for sale.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (extensively modified)

Postby lsvien » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:23 pm

I agree that it's a great idea and one that I am going to shamelessly copy. Not for sale but I have a couple of friends who home brew and have taps in their bar. I think they would like something like this.
lsvien
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Postby ChrisInEstes » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I do have a couple designs in the works for personalized tap handles. I'm sure the sports logos would be popular, but I don't know if I'd have the volume to pay for the licensing fees. I bet they get big bucks for that kind of thing.

I haven't sold one yet, but I did get an inquiry from a home brew shop asking about wholesale handles for them to sell in their stores.

I'll post pics of my new designs.

Thanks for the feedback!
Chris
ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Postby jimwill2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Good luck on the online business! The Tap handles look great and I agree that personalized handles would be very much in demand. I think an inlaid logo would look great too.
Jim Williams
jimwill2
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Postby martin54 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Chris, as with most things the personalised approach works well because you can't really mass produce personalised items in the Countries that are well know for having cheap labour.
As for the designs, as well as having stock designs it might be worth having a foot note to say that you can work with customer supplied designs for one off items. Price would obviously reflect the time taken to produce the required item & may well be far more than YOU think someone would pay for one but you might be surprised just how much some people will pay for a unique item.
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby T.R.MacMunn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Word for word, what Martin said!
T.R.MacMunn
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4836

Postby ChrisInEstes » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks everybody! Great advice.

Still no sales, but lots of views. I'm sure I would have been better off getting my shop up a couple months before Christmas. I spent the morning in the shop cutting blanks, so I should have more to offer up by the end of next week.

Chris
ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Postby martin54 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Chris, constructive criticism. Firstly yes it wasn’t a great time to launch but we don’t always have control over such things. I think you really need to be offering a bit more than just the bar taps & obviously with your machine you have the ability to do this, maybe start with items that are bar related like coasters that will complement the beer taps & could be done in the same style or pattern.
All the taps I could see were walnut, what about other woods? Walnut might not suit the bar décor but other woods might.

As for wording I’m not keen on this “ blocks of walnut I'm lucky enough to have found” to me it sounds like you just fell over them accidentlly lol.

I would be more inclined to say something like ” the taps have been produced from carefully selected blocks of walnut chosen for their unusual grain pattern” or something along those lines, makes them sound a little bit special which I am sure they are anyway.
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby ChrisInEstes » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:15 am

martin54 wrote:Chris, constructive criticism. Firstly yes it wasn’t a great time to launch but we don’t always have control over such things. I think you really need to be offering a bit more than just the bar taps & obviously with your machine you have the ability to do this, maybe start with items that are bar related like coasters that will complement the beer taps & could be done in the same style or pattern.
All the taps I could see were walnut, what about other woods? Walnut might not suit the bar décor but other woods might.

As for wording I’m not keen on this “ blocks of walnut I'm lucky enough to have found” to me it sounds like you just fell over them accidentlly lol.

I would be more inclined to say something like ” the taps have been produced from carefully selected blocks of walnut chosen for their unusual grain pattern” or something along those lines, makes them sound a little bit special which I am sure they are anyway.

You are correct, sir! :lol: I have other stuff in the works. I have some ideas for some carved bowls as well as other shapes of tap handles using other woods.

I got more info on the origin of the walnut blocks, so I'll be adding that in, and working on the wording too. They did nearly fall into my lap, though! I wasn't searching for them, a friend of mine just dropped them off at my shop last year.

I need to get better pictures of the items, too. I may build myself a benchtop photo studio with better lighting capibilties... Just something simple, though.

Thanks!
Chris
ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Postby milo30 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:17 am

You need to show what they look like mounted and some variety in what is carved in for the design. Even if I like your handle, I probably wouldn't want that design. You could just use vcarve to generate a preview of different designs. Personalizing would be even better as mentioned already. Have you tried some beer forums or even facebook to try to get the word out? It's hard to get customers to come find you.
milo30
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Chinese ATC 4X8 with Centroid Acorn

Next

Return to VCarve - Gallery