Last Years Advent Calendar

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
lsvien
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Last Years Advent Calendar

Post by lsvien »

Last years Advent files making an Advent calendar for the grandchildren. The background is hard maple, the frames are cherry and walnut, and the number tiles are cherry. The number tiles are held in with rare earth magnets epoxied into the back of the tiles, The washers are epoxied into the back of the background and they are approx 1/8 inch apart when the tiles are in place. I was worried about the pull of the rare earth magnets but with that much separation it’s just about perfect for little hands to pull off and just enough attraction to hold in place while upright. The files for each day came from Vectric’s advent offering last year. It's much like the advent treats years ago, each day available and then gone.

Next year I am working with a friend who is an electronic wiz and we are designing a box to hold the tiles. And when you drop the tile through the slot the magnet in the tile will activate a sensor and a small MP3 player will play a Christmas carol. If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.
Attachments
IMG_7636.jpg
IMG_7637.jpg
IMG_7641.jpg
IMG_7640.jpg
Mother Nature always bats last!

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Last Years Advent Calendar

Post by Phil »

Excellent, I love it.

Phil

jimwinchell
Model of CNC Machine: Blacklab CNC

Post by jimwinchell »

That's a great idea! I totally agree with your philosophy about over-doing it. :D

As a side note, I am a new user to VCarve Pro. Looking at the designs that you used on your project made me wonder if the Advent designs from last year are posted any where? I have been keeping up with this years downloads, but there are several from last year that I would be very interested in. Can any one help me out?

Thanks,
Jim

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

That is just so cool.

Jim, To my knowledge the files can only be had on the day they are available - no other day. There are also rules about sharing the files - they are for individual use only - so - nobody can give you the files. I could be wrong - but I don't think I am.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Last year's calendar was a lot better and more interesting than this year's :(
I keep on wishing for something interesting and "Vectric" to turn up.
I mean anybody can do a pencil.
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

momojito
Model of CNC Machine: Shark pro

Post by momojito »

Hi
My hard drive crashed a few months ago and I lost 2011 and 2012 advent calander files was wondering if someone could supply me with the files. I would really appreciate the help on replacing them. I should have backed them up but I did not sorry to say. I understand it was a one shot deal but it would be nice if someone out their could find it in their heart to help me out with a little XMAS spirit This could happen to anyone of use.
THANKS BRUCE

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Hi Bruce,

I can't help you with last years' files but you may be able to access them on your crashed hard drive. I have done this several times with "crashed" hard drives. My computer is a laptop but I'm sure you can do this with any hard drive.
I bought a hard drive enclosure from Tiger Direct. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =U12-42061
You can use this to plug your crashed hard drive into a USB port and access all of the files.
You can call Tiger Direct to be sure you are buying the right enclosure for your hard drive.

Phil

momojito
Model of CNC Machine: Shark pro

Post by momojito »

Thanks Phil for your suggestion but I have already tried this the HD was Fried no way to access it everything was lost. I had to buy a new machine. Now I try to backup as much as I can.

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

momojito wrote:Hi
My hard drive crashed a few months ago and I lost 2011 and 2012 advent calander files was wondering if someone could supply me with the files. I would really appreciate the help on replacing them. I should have backed them up but I did not sorry to say. I understand it was a one shot deal but it would be nice if someone out their could find it in their heart to help me out with a little XMAS spirit This could happen to anyone of use.
THANKS BRUCE
Losing a HDD really sucks! Most people, myself included, learn the hard way to back up your files. Do yourself a huge favor and get an online backup service subscription. I use Carbonite on 2 of my computers, and have a 3rd computer using Crash Plan. It's cheap insurance at $60/computer/year. You could back up to an external drive, but you have to remember to do it, they fail too, and it should be kept in a different location.

As far as the Advent calendar files, the Vectric license doesn't allow any transfer of the files. Maybe an email to Vectric explaining your situation would help you get the files again.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

subsea
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Zenbot 2448

Post by subsea »

Ms Wolffie wrote:Last year's calendar was a lot better and more interesting than this year's :(
I keep on wishing for something interesting and "Vectric" to turn up.
I mean anybody can do a pencil.
Cheers
Wolffie

Not me - - - I'm not an artist.
Have a fun day - Bill

subsea
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Zenbot 2448

Post by subsea »

Good idea. Thanks for showing it.
- Bill

br1
Vectric Apprentice

Post by br1 »

I must agree, very nice

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

You fellows never cease to Amaze me !! this is Cool !
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

droutt
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Mako

Post by droutt »

What a great advent calendar. Is there somewhere on the forum I could get the downloads for this. I got my cnc machine for Christmas last year and missed the whole process. That is a fantastic looking piece of work.

droutt

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

Here is a bunch to get you busy !! Welcome to CNC !

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects.html
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl