Routed Jewelry Box

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
BArnold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SO2/XCarve hybrid w/NEMA23 on all axes

Re: Routed Jewelry Box

Post by BArnold »

glenninvb wrote:SPalm, sent me a PM and asked me to look as I built one of his boxes, but seems you have figured...... leads.... use if you wish or eliminate. I think I used and it does eliminate tool marks. SPalm designs nice projects and his other goodies are very nice as well. ...
Thanks for the follow-up Glenn. Hey, I learned something new today so it was definitely worth getting outta bed this morning!!! :)

I've seen a few of Steve's projects featured on Vectric. I'm thinking it'll take me a while to get halfway where he is!!!

Roger Gaborski
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre 23

Post by Roger Gaborski »

Steve,
Very nice craftsmanship.
Roger

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

I really appreciate Steve for posting the files, I have finally made one. Main modification I made was to put all parts lined up in one file so I could drill inserts into my spoilboard (for repeatability) and not have to change bits many times for each part. I also added toolpaths for the hinges (for brass ones, will do the wood one in a later box). The pictures are my first try and it is going to one of my granddaughters. Also added my file in case it helps anyone else, be warned it may no be perfect so check it thoroughly first. The mounting holes are centered to make it easy to flip the boards to cut on the other side, just be aware that you will need to flip left to right not top to bottom. I also used 3/16" Brass for the corner dowels and 3/16" wood dowels for the back, change this as you like.

I made a larger 12" version after seeing 'CarveOne' mention it and will post that file once I have perfected it and cut one.

Joe
Attachments
Jbox-Joe Small.crv
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 486 times
Katie2.jpg
Katie1.jpg

SPalm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SPalm »

Hey Joe, that is sweet.
The mods you did look great, and it seems like you went with a tray in the bottom too.

We should figure out how to include knobs in the routing :-)

Steve

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bravesoul »

Steve,

I thought about the knobs but quickly gave that up for now, 2 sided would be best for the knob. Just haven't really had time between my day job and just getting the energy/time to do this after work. I keep hoping they will retire me (65 1/2) but willing to wait for another year...

I have similar mods for the Paradise Box in case anyone wants them, I will post the file if there is enough interest.

Joe

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bravesoul »

Oh and forgot to mention that the Jewelry Box corner posts are hidden, I only drilled to .75 on the top and bottom... I really like using brass for the corners, no way they will break and they swivel real easy without washers. I considered getting some really thin nylon washers but haven't yet. The brass rod I got was $5.48 ea with Prime for 12" at Amazon, I got 3 rods and with luck (if I don't make a mistake cutting them) I can do 4 1/2 boxes. Link to the rods: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FG1 ... ge_o00_s00

Joe

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bravesoul »

Steve,

2 questions, what was the size of your knobs, thinking about making them a part of my file. I was thinking I could easily do them by hand but for repeatability and consititancy I was going to create a file. Also, how did you attach them? with CA? And did you route a grove in the top, if not maybe that is something to also consider and for the legs, i'm thinking for the legs that they be the a long piece, the depth of the box maybe.

Joe

SPalm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SPalm »

I don't have access to the box right now... So I am going by memory.

The knobs were cut out of a walnut stick that I went back and forth from the router table to the table saw. They were just glued on the box.

The two feet were out of the same size stick but cut longer so they stuck out the front and the back, kind of like a sled. This was needed for stability.

Steve

Roger Gaborski
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre 23

Post by Roger Gaborski »

I would first like to thank Steve for posting the files for the jewelry box. I made my version of the jewelry box as a birthday gift for my daughter.
I made several modifications. First, I increased the size to approximately 12" x 6" x 6 1/2". I incorporated six pivoting drawers, each with a magnet to keep the drawer firmly closed. Added a bottom tray. Walnut pulls for the drawers and cover. Lastly, I inlayed two maple leaves in the cover. This is the most complex project I've done with the CNC machine.

Roger
Attachments
Jewelry box front.jpg
Jewelry box cover open.jpg
Jewelry box open.jpg
Jewelry box top.jpg
Jewelry box back.jpg

SPalm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SPalm »

Good job Roger!
Best one yet.

Steve

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

That is really nice, Roger....joe

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I don't know how I missed this entire thread.

Awesome design.

Really great builds too.

I need to add this one to my list.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

will1836
Model of CNC Machine: camaster

Post by will1836 »

SPalm,
Saw this post about 2 weeks ago, this was a perfect box for a class I'm taking so decided to make one.
Did a few modifications, added a third drawer and a bottom tray like Roger Gaborski. It's made from
"African Mahogany" and the handles are walnut. Made a wood hinge for the top and made brass bushings
(3/8 OD x 1/4 ID) for the drawers and used a 1/4" OD brass rod for the drawer hinges.
Thank you for sharing.
PS: hope the pictures come through.
Attachments
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG

SPalm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SPalm »

Wow Will, that is fantastic.
Good job and the pics look great.

Steve

KGolden
Model of CNC Machine: Home built using CNC Router Parts

Post by KGolden »

I love all the great designs here.

I stayed close to Steve's original design but added a false bottom to the top tray and an ornate onlay to the lid. I also carved the back plate in two parts along with the drawers (but a little bit taller), mainly for grain matching.

It was a Christmas present for my daughter, so I made it with 6-year-old appeal in mind, but with the hope that it will have more lasting appeal than all the toy cars. She says she loves it, which put a big smile on my face.

I designed the onlay using the Celtic Weave gadget in Aspire. The wood is zebrawood. I carved both the onlay and the lid pull out of maple and then gilded them. It was my first experience with gilding, and I'm happy with how it came out. I made the central inlay using InLace. That was also my first experience with non-wood inlays. I'll probably redo the lid pull at some point, which is why it's attached with screws. I used Glenn's idea of putting little neodymium magnets in the backs of the drawers as catches. I used a drag knife to cut out the felt lining for the drawers and trays. I could have cut them out by hand, but then I wouldn't have had the excuse to buy a new toy.

There are more details about the project at my blog (http://cncdad.blogspot.com/). I don't pretend to know what I'm doing -- just having fun. If anyone's interested, I can post the files once I'm back home.
jbox-topview.jpg
jbox-frontview.jpg
jobx-innertray.jpg
jobx-trays.jpg