Routed Jewelry Box

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Re: Routed Jewelry Box

Post by llwood »

Beautiful. Absolutely stunning.

Of course your daughter loves it, and it will have lifelong appeal. I'm sure she'll cherish it forever.

When we were cutting the Wraparound Jewelry Box, we were debating about whether there was a way to cut felt for the bottom of the drawer compartments on the CNC. You demonstrated that not only is it possible, but it looks great. Thanks for the inspiration. Gotta look into this drag knife thing.

Andy and Marty

SPalm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SPalm »

Hey KG, that is beautiful.
Good job, and I too have to look into that drag knife..

Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I really like making these kind of things. They make good gifts for friends and family. Your design is so unique and nicely done that I think I'll try making one. Thanks for sharing the finished project file.
Steve

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Awesome design and project. First, keep in mind I am a newbie and I am limited to a Chinese 6040 machine. I really want to try this but I am a little confused on some parts and rather reluctant to think my wood is accurate in thickness, which would be extremely critical to the build. I see many folks here have access to all kinds of exotic accurate thickness wood. Besides super expensive online/shipping, all I have here in this desolate NC land is box stores. And my Lowes don't carry anything good besides their expensive red oak. Many of my simple projects are done with the cheap whiteboard/pine that Lowes sell. Since they are never accurate, I bought a nice 13" Wen planer. However, I still seem to get inaccurate thickness because the wood is purchased with different thickness on the same board. I am old and retired and can't afford expensive boards to play with. I can plane a .75 inch pine board down a few passes on each side and my result is as an example .69 inch on one side and .64 on the other side. It's because the original is already out of whack and I have no idea how to correct it.

Anyway, reading thru the whole thread I see no one talks about that back board and how they made it. Or perhaps I missed it somehow. I assume you use the top large drawer as the pattern for the hole in that back board. Next is the thickness or depth issue. In my case, since I have different thickness in my cheap wood; I would be better off cutting and completing the whole project before knowing how high the back board will be.

Remember, I am a newbie with everything, so don't bark too loud and hurt my feelings... lol. But it is an awesome project that I really like. Thanks.... ~ Ed

Royrufus
Model of CNC Machine: Carve King

Post by Royrufus »

Very nice work. Thank you for sharing

svegare
Model of CNC Machine: stepcraft

Post by svegare »

Thanks for the generosity

Anders

wbrock
Model of CNC Machine: piranha fx

Post by wbrock »

ezurick wrote:Awesome design and project. First, keep in mind I am a newbie and I am limited to a Chinese 6040 machine. I really want to try this but I am a little confused on some parts and rather reluctant to think my wood is accurate in thickness, which would be extremely critical to the build. I see many folks here have access to all kinds of exotic accurate thickness wood. Besides super expensive online/shipping, all I have here in this desolate NC land is box stores. And my Lowes don't carry anything good besides their expensive red oak. Many of my simple projects are done with the cheap whiteboard/pine that Lowes sell. Since they are never accurate, I bought a nice 13" Wen planer. However, I still seem to get inaccurate thickness because the wood is purchased with different thickness on the same board. I am old and retired and can't afford expensive boards to play with. I can plane a .75 inch pine board down a few passes on each side and my result is as an example .69 inch on one side and .64 on the other side. It's because the original is already out of whack and I have no idea how to correct it.

Anyway, reading thru the whole thread I see no one talks about that back board and how they made it. Or perhaps I missed it somehow. I assume you use the top large drawer as the pattern for the hole in that back board. Next is the thickness or depth issue. In my case, since I have different thickness in my cheap wood; I would be better off cutting and completing the whole project before knowing how high the back board will be.

Remember, I am a newbie with everything, so don't bark too loud and hurt my feelings... lol. But it is an awesome project that I really like. Thanks.... ~ Ed
I made one last year, I cut everything then figured out the size for back piece.
I don't like spending a lot money on exotic woods that people won't don't appreciate so I have started buying 2 by's at local lumber yard and planning them down to get accurate thickness. I can usually get the 2 by's cheaper than the white wood and it has much nicer grain patterns and looks better when finished. The down side to the 2 by's is you need let them dry for few weeks before carving.

tajohns
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built + Jtech 7watt Laser

Post by tajohns »

Thanks for sharing Steve, very nice job!

Cheers,
Tom
Cheers,
Tom

connalj
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop max

Post by connalj »

HI all,
I REALLY love this project. One thing I don't understand is how the back of the box is in place. I know it's something stupid I am missing but could someone explain that to me?

Lee

connalj

Post by connalj »

HI,
I am LATE to this game, but I love the box. How do you design and apply a back to the box? I am sure I am missing something that has been mentioned, but I wanted to ask anyway:-)

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

I added this to my file, cut it for each pull out tray out of the same board. This is for the large 12" version, you could resize it for the smaller one I suppose. I use 1/4" round wood rods from Home Depot and cut to size, I believe they are 3' in length.

Joe
Attachments
Jbox-12in Back Alignment Piece.crv
(135 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

connalj

Post by connalj »

HI,
Thanks so much for responding to my post. But it appears to be in a hire version that I have. I am on version 9. Can you resend/repost it in version 9? Or can it be .dxf file?

Lee

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

Yes, I can do that as I still have v9 loaded. I will do that tomorrow as I don't have access to my files till then.

Joe

lonsdorf61
Model of CNC Machine: Cnc piranha FX/XL

Post by lonsdorf61 »

thank you for sharing