The not-so Divine Clock

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro

The not-so Divine Clock

Postby BigC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:00 pm

First and foremost a huge "Thank You" to Michael Tyler for making these files available.
and, a much lesser Thanks to me for chopping my little finger off at work :cry:
I was milling around the garage at a loose end wondering what to do whilst on the recovery path
I stumbled upon this nifty little project and decided to give it a go.
I only have MDF and Cherry lying about, so I thought rather than mess up a nice piece of real wood, I'd take the cheaper option and run it as a test piece for a better attempt at a later date.
So I went about setting everything up, keeping the rest of my digits well clear of any moving parts and run the job. :roll:
I had to convert everything to millimeters and adjust the tooling a little but all in all everything went like clockwork 8) as they say.
MDF is not the greatest medium on the planet and my machine (or rather my MDF spoil board) is a smidgen off level. (suspected moisture content/will address soon) But I still managed to get a pretty decent carve all things considered.
Below is the rough images before sanding and finishing,
Please don't be too hypercritical (I'm here to learn and share my cutting experience be it good or bad) :)

Devine Clock.jpg

Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: The not-so Divine Clock

Postby joeporter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Looks like good one to me....joe
joeporter
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Postby mtylerfl » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:51 am

Looks divine to me, C! Nice carve! Thank you for posting and thanks also for the kind words!
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC
mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Postby rtibbs2018 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:56 am

Where might one locate the clock file?
rtibbs2018
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Postby rtibbs2018 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:57 am

Oops, never mind I found it.......
rtibbs2018
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Postby BigC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:34 am

mtylerfl wrote:Looks divine to me, C! Nice carve! Thank you for posting and thanks also for the kind words!

Not a problem Michael, I take my hat off to you, it's truly well deserved. For you to come back month after month with some incredible projects and supply all the necessary files and guidance for us lesser mortals to try make good upon is one of the reasons this forum is so successful. So I appreciate everything you do for us.

That said I would like to keep this thread open to see what eventually happens to this little project (which incidentally I believe everyone should try at least once, novice or otherwise) It mills in around 3 hours at my settings, which leaves ample time to come back and finish it at your leisure.
With the finishing in mind after a gluing & sanding (obviously I cannot stain MDF). I thought of maybe first giving it a coat or two of Zinnser Bullseye 123 to seal the piece. Then a coat of dark grey emulsion and on top of that a coat of an off white (English heritage type) then once dried apply a coat of crackle paint. which will have the effect of making the topcoat (white) crack slightly revealing the grey flecks beneath. I have performed this task many times before to great effect all be it on pine so we'll see how we go with this. Should give it a nice shabby chic look after I lightly sand some (not all of the outside edges) to try and attain that distressed look I'm after. Then complete the task with couple of coats of mid satin varnish (semi-gloss)
Below is a simple Bath Butler I made for my daughter some time ago with the overall look I seek
Bath Caddy Complete.jpg

varnish first coat.jpg

Hopefully, it will serve well on the clock front and it will turn out every bit as Devine as Michael's. I will post images and updates on this as I recuperate..
Thanks for your kind comments
The original clock project by Michael is available here :arrow: https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... ivineClock

Why not give it a go
Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Postby BigC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Stuck on You!
This morning I managed to get the 2 parts of the clock project glued together with Wood Adhesive. They went together very well although I had to make sure the circular v-carve design on the top portion aligned correctly with the bottom section scrolls otherwise it looks a bit odd and off skew.
So that is her fully clamped and waiting to dry before going on to my favorite process SANDING :roll:
The hardest part of this morning's proceedings was trying to open and position the grip clamps whilst having a finger missing. Managed it in the end :D
Glue.jpg

Thanks for following
Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Postby BigC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

This morning I managed to sand down all the rough edges of the clock skeleton and give it a light primary seal of Zinsser Bullseye 123.
As expected MDF is not the greatest material from which to make this excellent piece. I have noticed that it's still slightly furry in the milled out pocket sections. My hope is to apply a light coat of the sealer (which I've done) then sand it all down with a very fine grade paper, It worked before so no reason to doubt it this time around. After which I will apply a secondary coat of sealer before going on to the actual painting.
The story so far
Seal1.jpg

Imagine how this would look in a solid piece of Oak or something similar...
Thanks for following, any constructive comments welcomed
Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Return to VCarve - Gallery