First three Jobs :)

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
ezurick

Re: First three Jobs :)

Post by ezurick »

Very nice work Deej. I wish I had better skills at the painting department. So you use a varnish before painting on all your items? What kind of paint? Is it oil based or acrylic?

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

TReischl wrote:I am NOT going to use that word (pukka). Nope. Never.

With my luck someone will claim that I swore at them.
Ok Ted I am going to leave that one way way alone. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

slowoodworker
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRouterparts Benchtop Pro

Post by slowoodworker »

"A slang-term used in British English to describe something as "first class" or "absolutely genuine"....."

Thank you for the definition. I'm sure most of us Yanks wouldn't have a clue what it means.

--Rich Farwell

Beej
Model of CNC Machine: Z90 Bear Whopper 10'x5'

Post by Beej »

RebeccaJ wrote:Hey BeeJ!

Thanks for sharing your projects with us! They are excellent, and the paint on them looks pukka!
It's great to hear how much you are enjoying VCarve :D and we look forward to more posts from you showcasing future projects :D :D

Thanks,
Beki
Thanks for that Pukka response Rebecca ;) Will post more stuff up soon . .

Beej

Post by Beej »

WNC_Ed wrote:Beej,
Awesome stuff - please keep sharing the projects!

Beki,
...looks pukka!
Another new word for my vocabulary.
Thank you :D
Thanks Ed :) I think that quote by George Bernard Shaw goes, 'Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language.' ;)

Beej

Post by Beej »

Rcnewcomb wrote:Word of the Day: pukka

A slang-term used in British English to describe something as "first class" or "absolutely genuine".

The word pukka enjoys an unusual status in Britain both as a current slang term and a dusty relic of the Raj. As a London slang term, pukka means first-rate or excellent. The word rose to prominence over a decade ago, when it became one of the catchphrases of the TV chef, Jamie Oliver. Since then, a number of British companies have adopted it in their trading names: Pukka Pads, Pukka Teas, even Pukka Dating. The word’s fashionable makeover is all the more surprising given its former stuffy associations. The pukka sahib of the Raj is a conformist who plays by imperial rules, a type ruthlessly satirized by E. M. Forster in A Passage to India (1924) and George Orwell in Burmese Days (1934).
lol :) Yeah, Jamie Oliver isn't quite as well-known over the pond as Gordon Ramsey, but he is pretty much to blame for commenting all his dishes looked, 'Pukka!' Never knew the Raj bit tho? Odd . . language is a weird thing!

Beej

Post by Beej »

TReischl wrote:I am NOT going to use that word (pukka). Nope. Never.

With my luck someone will claim that I swore at them.
Totally agree! :) And I was laughing watching Stephen Colbert on youtube this week doing his bit to camera about Trump over here meeting the Queen etc . . Check it out if you didn't see it, when he makes the Pukka joke (sorry! hehe) about the name Woody Johnson (US ambassador here in London) just killed me :lol: Mind you, in the UK 'Trump' is a slang word for fart and Johnson (Boris or Woody, take your pick!) isn't that US slang for a parliament 'Member'? hehe :lol:

Will have to check out Colberts Youtube next day or so to see if he mentions Woody getting a 'Buzz' from filming the Queen on his cellphone behind her while she gave a solemn speech about the DDay 75 yr anniversary yesterday . . Oh Dear! What a Johnson! ;)

Beej

Post by Beej »

ezurick wrote:Very nice work Deej. I wish I had better skills at the painting department. So you use a varnish before painting on all your items? What kind of paint? Is it oil based or acrylic?
Hi bud,

The paint is all water-based, some acrylic some emulsion (like a household paint). But I have discovered more recently that Createx have released a line called 'Scenix'. I have used Createx 'Wicked Colors' Auto Air etc.. many times in the past when airbrushing motorcycles etc and didn't know about this paint until now? That's because I've been out of the 'painting' loop for a few yrs . . But check it out here:

https://createxcolors.com/scenix-mural- ... index.html

They also do water-based clears too! The mural paint is all water-based so it's great for wood and props etc..

Water-based aliphatic acrylic-urethane resin does not yellow. Excellent adhesion direct to any substrate including plastic, glass, aluminum and more. Works well as adhesion promoter for Scenix paint. Available in Gloss, Satin and Matte.

The clear I am talking about which I have used many times in the past (but will prob try-out some of this new Scenix mural clear now) is made by 'Polyvine' and is called 'Decorator's Varnish' and I would imagine the Scenix stuff is very similar as it too is water-based and comes in Gloss, Satin and Dead Flat. I don't varnish before painting them, it's a top-coat to protect the paint from scuffs and chips etc.

Beej

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Thanks for the info Deej...