award plaque

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

award plaque

Post by NormanAlbert »

Just finished this pilots choice award for our up coming Chuck Yeager Warbird event. It's on red ceder, a thin epoxy coating before cutting to soak in and prevent the fuzzies. The photo carve picture is General Chuck Yeager and we do have written permission to use his name for our yearly event. Norm
Attachments
DSCN0813.JPG

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: award plaque

Post by dwilli9013 »

Nice work love the color and grain of that piece of wood. Thanks for sharing.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

ctbjdm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: TBD

Post by ctbjdm »

Please take this as my opinion and constructive feedback - I like the carving a lot but the contrasting color wood makes it very difficult for me to read the text.

Maybe it’s more clear in person.

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

I love it, but I would like to echo the above comments: it's very hard to read. I know it's probably far too late to re-do, but it might have been better to align the right side vertical text so it was on the lighter portion of the wood (as the left side is).

For what it's worth, what I have done in the past when dealing with wood like this is to:

1) Take a photo of the wood (doesn't have to be a fancy camera, just a cell phone picture will work);
2) Edit it so that you crop out everything but the wood;
3) Place that photo into the Bitmap Textures folder (I use Aspire, but the process should be the same with VCarve: File>Open Application Data Folder, and then save the file in the "Wood" folder in Bitmap Textures folder)
4) You'll have to re-start the software for the new textures to be selected;
5) On your Job Setup tab, select your wood texture;
6) In Preview Toolpaths, select your wood texture; and
7) And then you are off to the races and you can view what your final product will look like.

I am only used to Aspire, so I apologize if my instructions don't work in V-Carve. I have successfully used this process to place my toolpaths around knots, etc (without having to painstakingly measure the wood and try to figure it out "blindly") and to try to use the wood grain to my advantage. I have learned the hard way, though: wood grain changes as you carve down into the wood, so if you are doing 3D carving, you really have to learn how to "read" the wood by looking at both sides (and the end pieces) and trying to imagine how the grains flow from top to bottom, or where the knots/rot begin or end.

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi Guys: Thanks for the feed back. For what I'm charging to the club (nothing) and what they used to get I don't spend the time Like
I do to a paying customer. My stock of Corian sink cut outs is greatly diminished so i'm venturing more and more into wood. Thers always more to learn. Norm