Layered wings Design

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Re: Layered wings Design

Post by llwood »

We like this design so much that we have leveraged it into other projects. I made it twice as big and made it into an Anniversary commemoration. Here you see it with several different names. Marty will carve out the text, then apply the dark color and let it dry, then cut out the rest.

Andy and Marty, Locust Lane Woodworking
Attachments
Brian and Erica
Brian and Erica
Andy and Sharon
Andy and Sharon
Closeup of the layering of the wings.
Closeup of the layering of the wings.
Larry and Nancy
Larry and Nancy

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Re the V bit cutting into higher layers. Instead of calculating an offset, you can just set the start depth for the VCarve toolpath at the depth of the layer you want to avoid cutting when you cut the deeper layers.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

FixitMike wrote:Re the V bit cutting into higher layers. Instead of calculating an offset, you can just set the start depth for the VCarve toolpath at the depth of the layer you want to avoid cutting when you cut the deeper layers.
Sorry, Mike, but I don't know what you mean by this and how it would prevent the side of the vbit from cutting into shallower layers.

Andy

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 11.5

Post by sylvan356 »

Andy -
I love the wing and how you accomplished it. Thanks for sharing!

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Sorry, Mike, but I don't know what you mean by this and how it would prevent the side of the vbit from cutting into shallower layers.
Andy[/quote]

VCarving is done so the sides of the bit at the start depth follows the lines it is cutting between. If you set the start depth for cutting the deeper layers layers to be the same as the start depth of the shallowest layer, the V bit will not cut into the shallowest layer. It is the same as calculating an offset to cut the deeper layer with a lower start depth, except no math is involved. The flat depth setting of course, sets the depth of the cut that then makes the top surface of the next deeper layer.

If the highest layer is at the original material surface, setting the start depth for all of the cuts to 0 will automatically result in an offset when cutting the lower layers so the side of the bit does not cut into the sides of the first cuts.

Incidentally, I used to calculate an offset myself before someone here on the forum posted the trick of setting the flat depth to 0 for all of the cuts.

Here's an example file:
Example.crv
Note the start and flat depths of the toolpaths.
(454.5 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
[quote="llwood"]
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Mike. I was able to follow your suggestion in order to carve the flat parts of the wings with no offsets, just as you suggested. Please see photo.
Attachments
Surfaces of the wings carved with VCarve Toolpaths following FixitMike's suggestion
Surfaces of the wings carved with VCarve Toolpaths following FixitMike's suggestion

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

It looks like your technique looks great for having several flat regions at different depths. However, as you can see, just having the surfaces doesn't look all that good. There needs to be some details on the feathers to make it come together. I want to draw lines between features and draw the spines in the middle of the feathers.

I couldn't figure out how to carve on the surfaces of the wings without offsetting. I tried several ways, with offsets, without offsets. Some of the details are done with a VCarve toolpath and some of the details are done with a profile toolpath using the vbit.

The first thing I noticed is that to profile on the outline of the wings, the outline is inside the edge of the wing. This makes sense because the VCarve toolpath that surfaces the wings is cutting along the line at depth 0, so at deeper depths the shape will be bigger. So I'm not sure how to get the lines on the feathers to match the rest. Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Andy
Attachments
With details between the feathers and for the spines in the middle of the feathers.
With details between the feathers and for the spines in the middle of the feathers.

SawdustSantas
Model of CNC Machine: NewCNC Talent 408 with 8 tool ATC

Post by SawdustSantas »

Another thank you from a newbie. Saved this off in a folder for future projects. Looks very cool.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Thank you so much Andy, I love it.
At our age I will just change "Loving: to "Living".
That's what we are most grateful for :D
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6