Downloading Gadgets

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
PonderosaPine
Model of CNC Machine: Freedom Machine Tool

Re: Downloading Gadgets

Post by PonderosaPine »

Thank you for the suggestions, Adrian. I tried to download two additional gadgets. They were downloaded from http://gadgets.vectric.com/V9/spiral.html , and http://gadgets.vectric.com/V9/gear_maker.html . When I downloaded them using Windows Explorer they came in as .zip files. I downloaded one of them using Chrome and it came in as a .exe file (from the same gadget library).

I copied, then renamed the .zip files to be .vgadget files. The renamed files installed easily.

It appears that I can work around this strange file transfer behavior by renaming the files to have the expected file extension. Of course, that should not be necessary. I noted that sheiney reported the same strange download behavior on December 11th, so I appended my post to the same topic to provide evidence that this is a more general issue.

Let me know what additional information I might provide to help figure out why this is happening. Maybe there is some dependency on browser settings, such that my settings are different that Adrian's ...

I share Adrian's aversion to Edge ... I tried it only to see if it would behave differently.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Very odd. I can download those same gadgets using FireFox, Chrome and Internet Explorer and they all download as vgadget files. The only time I get anything different is using Edge.

I think it's going to need the Vectric webmaster to chime in on this.

The only suggestion I have is to delete all the files from your download folder and try again.

PonderosaPine
Model of CNC Machine: Freedom Machine Tool

Post by PonderosaPine »

Today seems to be the day for the gadget files to download as .exe files for me. First attachment shows the option I get in Windows Explorer when I choose to save the file. When I renamed a copy of these two files with .vgadget extensions they both failed to install with the message "Failed to Install Gadget" shown in the second attachment.
Screen capture of options for saving Square_Around_Gadget download
Screen capture of options for saving Square_Around_Gadget download
Error message after attempting installation
Error message after attempting installation

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You're on the wrong website. There is no Tangents Gadget for V9 as it's now a built-in function.

The address in your explorer bar should have V9 in it. For example if you're were downloading the Square Around gadget you should have http://gadgets.vectric.com/V9/square_around.html in the address bar. Without the V9 it will default to the old pre-V9 gadgets.

If you got to http://gadgets,vectric.com site and click on the Access Gadget Library link you should be in the right place.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Post by cusoak »

I have read all of the post here.
What I take away from this thread is that, make sure you are in the correct version of your soft ware and use Chrome as the prefered browse to do a download.
Is this all correct.
I ask this because I am about to upgrade to vcarve pro.
Which I want to be able to get the Gadgets.
Jeff

Ammar
Model of CNC Machine: vcarve

Post by Ammar »

Finally found the solution for it.

I have the most uptodate Vcarve pro version V9.5.10
I have been trying to install gadgets the usual way (download the .vgadget file from the website and double click on it or click vcarve install gadget and find it) but none of that was working. I was getting the message "failed to extract archive"

eventually I copied the .vgadget file and pasted in VCarve "Program Files" folder and double clicked it and it was installed.