Thank you for the suggestions, Adrian. I tried to download two additional gadgets. They were downloaded from http://gadgets.vectric.com/V9/spiral.html
, and http://gadgets.vectric.com/V9/gear_maker.html
. When I downloaded them using Windows Explorer they came in as .zip files. I downloaded one of them using Chrome and it came in as a .exe file (from the same gadget library).
I copied, then renamed the .zip files to be .vgadget files. The renamed files installed easily.
It appears that I can work around this strange file transfer behavior by renaming the files to have the expected file extension. Of course, that should not be necessary. I noted that sheiney reported the same strange download behavior on December 11th, so I appended my post to the same topic to provide evidence that this is a more general issue.
Let me know what additional information I might provide to help figure out why this is happening. Maybe there is some dependency on browser settings, such that my settings are different that Adrian's ...
I share Adrian's aversion to Edge ... I tried it only to see if it would behave differently.