Chamfer Gadget Install

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Ausworkshop
Model of CNC Machine: cncshark

Chamfer Gadget Install

Post by Ausworkshop »

I have been using Vcarve 6 for years and only recently discovered there is a chamfer gadget, I'd like to try it out but I go through the installer and all seems ok but it doesn't show in the gadget menu. Does it only work with Aspire? I can't find any info on what versions it will work on or why it seems to install but doesn't. Do I need to reboot or something?

I really should look into these Gadgets more, never have the time unfortunately, then when I do try something like this it turns into a time consuming process to get something working the way I want with Vcarve. -- I still can't even get snap to grid to work properly and snap to my drawing in both vertical and horizontal. I've given up on that for now and tried getting help but it still frustrates me to no end when trying do do a simple drawing or row of slots etc.

Thanks for your time.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Chamfer Gadget Install

Post by Adrian »

What version of VCarve do you have?

Ausworkshop

Post by Ausworkshop »

Version 6.504, I can't find any info on what versions the gadgets will work on. Is there a link to a chart or something I can look at before I bother to try and get a gadget that's not designed to work on my version?

Thanks for your help.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The gadgets will only work on V7.5 and above.

On the Gadgets home page (http://gadgets.vectric.com) :
The Gadgets & Developer information available on this site are applicable to Aspire V8, Aspire V4.5 and where compatible VCarve Pro V7.5. If you are using Aspire V4.0 or VCarve Pro V7.0 then you can update to V4.5/V7.5 for free. To do so, open your product and click 'Check for Updates' under the Help menu.

Ausworkshop

Post by Ausworkshop »

Ok, thanks for that, I'll have to decide if I can afford to upgrade in future if it will will be worth it. For now I just use the vcarve toolpath and off-set the vector for a chamfer around the edge of a sign for example -- but I always forget the easy way when I haven't done it for months and forget! :)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The current versions of VCarve are a big step up from 6 in terms of functionality but it all depends if those features are ones you are likely to make use of. Might be worth downloading a trial of 8.5 (9 is due soon) and try it out. Gadgets don't work in the trial versions so you won't be able to try those out.

Ausworkshop

Post by Ausworkshop »

Well, that's handy! the Gadgets are probably the things I'm most interested in and may be the reason I would want to upgrade but if I can't try them out I will probably just save my money for now until I can see a good reason for change. I am always reluctant to upgrade anything I use on a day to day basis. Usually the 'improved' 'updated' version of any software causes nothing but headaches and slows me down.

For example -- I am still using XP on my pc that runs the machine, I also have a Win10 pc right next to it. The amount of time I've spent sorting issues with Win10 would shock you, some are reoccurring or come back again after an 'update' (which takes forever in Win10). I can use XP for everyday tasks and it is quicker and more efficient for most of what I do -- answering emails, checking my online bank, doing invoices, attaching photos to emails, resizing photos before attaching.... All these things take me longer on Win10, there are more steps involved, more clicks to get the same function, everything is hidden behind menus, harder to find, slower to use, more steps involved, more choices to make for what used to be a simple function, fonts disappear with updates..... the list goes on.

Anyway now I'm rambling, but hopefully you can see my point about being reluctant to upgrade software unless I can see an obvious benefit to my daily workflow or there's a security issue with the current version. There's too many 'upgrades' in our modern lives, if I can see a way to keep things simple I'll take it. I don't care about looks or sleek design, call me old fashion but I just want functionality and an easy UI with easy to find drop down menus.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Vectric is different in that they always take great pains to not change things for the sake of it, they just add to the product. Everything that is in 6 that is in 8.5 is in the same places and works the same way.

Personally I don't have any issue with Windows 10 and would detest going back to XP but I can see where you're coming from. Too much software these days looks like it's been designed by a committee with some never ending need for shiny new "state of the art" interfaces.