Possible to toolpath dogbones?

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
allen00se
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 48x96

Possible to toolpath dogbones?

Post by allen00se »

Just curious before I go down the path of trying to develop my own gadget... is it possible to write a gadget that will make a pocket or profile toolpath and automatically dogbone inside corners? I don't want to have the dogbones in the actual design because if I scale the file it would mean redoing all of the dogbones, and with the type of projects I do I need to constantly scale the file to fit the thickness of my material.

Thanks in advance.
-Krys

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Possible to toolpath dogbones?

Post by Adrian »

The dogbone gadget - http://gadgets.vectric.com/dogbone.html - does that already. The dogbone profile vectors are created on a different layer so the original vectors are untouched.

allen00se
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 48x96

Post by allen00se »

Adrian wrote:The dogbone gadget - http://gadgets.vectric.com/dogbone.html - does that already. The dogbone profile vectors are created on a different layer so the original vectors are untouched.
Two problems with that gadget,

First being if you change the original vectors, you have to go back through the whole dogbone process again (not a huge deal).

Second, and more important to me is that gadget doesn't recognize the inside corners of a rectangle, it seems to only recognize a "tail" shape like for dovetails.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a tool or gadget that will do it all. I'd suggest putting your resized shapes on different layers and use the dog-bone filet tool.
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you want to create your own dogbone gadget you'll have to do it a similar way though as toolpaths, even from LUA code, have to be based on vectors.

If you're 100% certain that the code had the markers in the right place every time you could skip the two stage process.