Chamfer: Side of line button missing

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
magazines
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot 4x8 PRS

Chamfer: Side of line button missing

Post by magazines »

Hello!
My issue is with the CHamfer gadget. I want to use it to put different angles of chamfers around polygons for eventual assembly. So I need different angles for each side.
IN the instruction software it shows it has a button to click towards or away from the line.
It says: " iv: Chamfer Towards Line: This option if enabled will create the chamfer towards the line, else it will chamfer away from the line. "

But my version on the shopbot version of Vcarve 8 does not have this button. It has everything else but not that button. It was downloaded in July 2016, so I assume it is the latest version that indicates it works on open vectors.

Anybody have any ideas why it might not have the option to indicate which side of a vector to bevel/chamfer.
I'm sure I'll figure it out when we get the button to work, but I'm also curious how away or towards is determined as well: away from 0,0 or from home?
Will this be rectified if we update to the 8.5 version of carve?
Thanks very much for any suggestions!
Peter

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Chamfer: Side of line button missing

Post by Adrian »

Vectric will have to confirm it 100% but looking at the code it seems to me that that feature was never fully implemented. There is a callback in the main code for it but nothing else and I can't see anywhere in the htm (dialog) code where it would be set.

magazines

Post by magazines »

Hello Adrian,
Thanks for your attention to my question.
Ok! So, I'm not crazy (at least due to that). As you probably saw on the gadget page, it says that this feature was implemented in vers 1.1 and there has been another version since.
Do you advise emailing them directly asking about this, or do you think that they will see this on the forum (I'm new here)?

Given my project involves making different bevels across dozens of different polygons on each sheet of plywood, this feature would be very beneficial to me. Do you have any other suggestions about making shapes with different chamfers on different sides in Vcarve?
much appreciated!
Peter

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I'd email support@vectric.com to be sure. Vectric staff often spot discussions on the forum but not always.

You can program a series of toolpaths to do what the gadget does with offsets and different starting depths but it's a whole lot easier with the gadget.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I may be way off base on this, but just fiddling around with the Molding Toolpath I put different bevels on each side of a triangle (see attached). Would something like this work?
Multiple Bevels.crv
(80 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
John
Maker of Chips

magazines

Post by magazines »

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will email vectric directly to inform them of the missing button and see if there is any workaround.

In the meantime, I am having our shop manager see if we can upgrade to 8.5 to use this new moulding feature that highpockets used to make the example. Thanks for doing that, but it won't open for me yet as we are still on version 8. Honestly the new feature sounds great and I will see if it will cover our needs.

Thanks again to both of you
Peter

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Peter,
8.5 is a free upgrade if you have registered version 8.
If you have Shopbot Edition of VCP 8, then you should contact Shopbot directly, as you should have received an E-mail with the free download link a couple of weeks ago.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

bikerbri
Model of CNC Machine: stepcraft 600

Post by bikerbri »

Any further information on the missing button on the chamfer gadget ?, it wold be a handy tool for a beginner like me .

tadthies
Model of CNC Machine: Digital_Wood_Carver

Post by tadthies »

Any update on this. I have current versions of Aspire with all updates. I do not have the side of line button either. I have reinstalled the gadget as well. the gadget version is 1.2 that I have.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

1.2 still has the same issue.

This gadget might be worth looking at to see if it does what you want - http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21185

bmcramer
Model of CNC Machine: D23-Minitron

Post by bmcramer »

I am running VCarve 9.0 and downloaded the latest version of the Chamfer Gadget.

However, this gadget chamfers all 4 sides (like a pyramid or house roof), and there is no option to chamfer only one side ( like a ramp ), is there something I am missing? The icon shows the chamfer as only on one side, but in reality it will not do that unless there is another programming option.

:roll: Anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It works on whatever vectors are selected so if you give it a rectangle it will chamfer all sides of it. If you only want one side chamfered then you need use a single vector. You can either draw that or use node edit to cut it from the rectangle.

bmcramer

Post by bmcramer »

Thanks for the fast :D reply - I'll give that a try and let you know.

bmcramer

Post by bmcramer »

It works - thanks again :D