Creat Staircase Column Tool Path with Vectric

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
bswdcad
Model of CNC Machine: MasterWood

Re: Creat Staircase Column Tool Path with Vectric

Post by bswdcad »

IslaWW wrote:Here is a screenshot of the simple 2d vector (quick trace from your 1st picture) a profile toolpath "on vector" will yield the proper XY code. Z may have to be eliminated from the gcode file, or you may have to make a special postP that swaps the axes and removes code for the unneeded axes.
Spindle TP.JPG
Thank you. Now I begin to understand something. Have somebody a postprocessor for lathe machines? The machine is supplied with some basic Artcam software and the gcode from there is saved using a standard gcode .tap file.

The output looks something like this:

T1M6
G0Z10.000
G0X0.000Y10.000S15000M3
G0X605.298Y2.024Z10.000
G1Z-2.110F720.0
G1X605.055Y2.022F2520.0
X592.169Y1.925Z-2.091
X591.441Y1.235Z-2.365
X590.346Y0.674Z-3.253

X0.164Y1.136Z-2.111
X-0.074Y1.137Z7.890
G0Z10.000
G0X0.000Y10.000
G0Z10.000
M30
=============

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I think you would need to modify the post.

Lathes generally work on Z and X.

In this case you would swap the "Z" moves in Vectric into "X" moves for the lathe.
The "Y" moves - or "X" moves in Vectric, depending on orientation would become your "Z" moves in the lathe.

The "S" would be the spindle RPM.

There is no wrapping.

In the video there are two cutters cutting. In the lathe world that is generally called pinch turning. In the video it was bacically just cutting the square down to a round. That "might" be a separate program is they are set up with 2 channel programming.

The Vectric product is a 3 axis milling type programming software, not 2 axis lathe. There are ways to use Vectric for 4 axis and 2 axis lathe, but it is a bit out of the box.

The nice thing is that the Vectric post is user friendly, fully customizable and user supported here on the forum and with Vectric support.

What you are asking for is not a standard Vectric operation.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

bswdcad

Post by bswdcad »

Yes indeed, there are two cutter who have a pitch between them. Basically the first one is making a rough cut and the second one is making a finish one.

I will upload a video who describes how is generating the gcode in Artcam. The problem is that I don't understand why they are doing that way and not other way?

ArtCAM_Cosen_Lathe.wmv

I just want to replicate somehow the workflow on Aspire (or get out a working gcode) since I'm more used with this software. I'm also using Aspire for other CNC machines (router ones).

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

With a few minor variations that is the same process that I showed. That said the post processor will be the most important to see which axes code is going where.

The process is very similar in VCPro or Aspire. You can use imported DXF or STL in both VCPro and Aspire.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

bswdcad

Post by bswdcad »

The interesting part of this machine is that one of the cutters is actually the Z, the other one is Y(offset-ed a few millimetres from the Z one), and is moving along X.

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

Gary, is there any chance you could give me a description of the cutter geometry on the tools used in the video? It looks like you're using a triangle insert - any special grind and is it presented to the wood with positive or negative rake?
thanks
Joe

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Joe...
I use 10mm round and 35* finisher carbide insert tooling on my lathes. The have a 7* clearance rake and a profile that is close to what is shown in the picture below. More of a skew cutter than a scraper. This should get you what you need.
Attachments
Cutter.JPG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

Thanks!