Submitting a gadget

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

Submitting a gadget

Post by vgraves »

Gadgets are available from gadgets.vectric.com, and some of them have not been written by Vectric personnel. There's also a Released Gadgets forum, but that seems to be just for announcing the official gadgets. And while some gadgets are available from non-Vectric sites, I haven't seen any instructions on how someone might submit a gadget for use by the Vectric community either here in the forums or on gadgets.vectric.com. Is it acceptable to attach gadget files to a posting in this forum, or is there some other preferred way of making new gadgets available?

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: Submitting a gadget

Post by PaulRowntree »

I created a web site on a service provider (weebly) to host my pages, then made the gadgets available from there. I stored them on DropBox. This way you can always keep the files current, and people don't have to hunt to find updated versions etc. A forum post to tell people about the gadget and how to get it, then word-of-mouth (text on forum ?) does the rest.

The downside of my way is missing out on the advantages of the Vectric installer, which does useful tricks and is familiar to everyone.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman

Post by vgraves »

Thanks, Paul. I was actually hoping Vectric might consider implementing some sort of submission process, but that might take too much of their resources. I currently don't have any sort of web site or easy means of distribution and was thinking that attaching to forum posts might suffice, just like people do with geometry files. But that would have the limitations you highlight.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

I don't know beans about web site creation or hosting. Weebly does it for free, hoping you will buy some extras or services, or sites that look stand-alone. I haven't paid a penny, and making sites is drag-and-drop. There are probably other similar hosting sites around.
Cheers!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

seanm
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 Desktop CNC

Post by seanm »

In light of this post i have added two new areas to the Gadgets forum.
User Submissions
User Requests

For submissions, users can upload attachments in zip format to the forum post and if they would like them to be available to everyone via the Vectric Gadgets website, a simple message in the forum post or an email to me (seanm@vectric.com) will have them considered for the website. Then any new versions can be submitted to myself for a new installer to be produced.

Many Thanks

Sean

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman

Post by vgraves »

Thanks, Sean. I'm going to be out of town for a few days but will give it a try when I return!

Van

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

seanm wrote:In light of this post i have added two new areas to the Gadgets forum.
User Submissions
User Requests

For submissions, users can upload attachments in zip format to the forum post and if they would like them to be available to everyone via the Vectric Gadgets website, a simple message in the forum post or an email to me (seanm@vectric.com) will have them considered for the website. Then any new versions can be submitted to myself for a new installer to be produced.

Many Thanks

Sean
Wow Sean
Vectric conquers again.
I do not know of any other forum or company that responds as fast as this one.
Bravo

(where is the clapping hands smiley?)
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6