Design Approach for Gadget Needed

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Design Approach for Gadget Needed

Post by GrandpaB »

to all Gadgeteers,

I need help deciding on a design approach for a gadget I need to develop. The project is to create several hundred personalized awards. Each award will contain the recipient's full name. First, I plan to create all the awards without the personalization. The second step will be to Vcarve the names on the awards. Each name needs to be Vcarved on both sides of the award. I would like to create a gadget that will read all the names from a file, print the first name on side 1, stop and allow me to flip the award over, print the same name on side 2, stop and allow me to insert a blank award in the router, print name 2 on side 1, stop and flip, etc., etc.

I have programming experience, but I am totally new to the gadget SDK. I see that I could put each name on a different layer, and then if I could program the Router to pause after carving each name and allow me to change or flip the awards I might have a solution. This the approach level of help that would get me started and raise my expectations of success.

I'd appreciate all comments and suggestions; thanks in advance.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Design Approach for Gadget Needed

Post by IslaWW »

Have you looked at the "Plate Production" feature? Seems to be just what you are looking for.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The Shark controller does not have a provision for pausing within a program. You will need a separate toolpath file for each side.

It will be more efficient if you can make a jig to hold and cut multiple awards. Otherwise, each side will have to be run as a separate job. If the name is in the same place on both sides you can flip the award over and rerun the job.

Can you arrange the awards so you have a number of them arranged vertically, centered horizontally, with tabs, on a piece of wood. This would reduce the time required. Cut the first side, then flip the wood.

Hint: I have found it easier than sanding to remove tab stubs by using a profile (bearing guided) bit on a router table.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GrandpaB »

IslaWW,

Thanks for your input. I have never used Plates; all of my work has fit within the constraints of my Shark CNC bed. I just finished reading about the Toolpath Tiling options in the v8.0 Vcarve help file. i envision a gadget that would create a tile containing a Vcarve toolpath for each name in the file list. Each toolpath could then be run and the awards changed between each run.

GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GrandpaB »

FixitMike,

Thanks for your input. I had hoped that I could add something to the Shark toolpath that would raise the bit and then programmatically pause the toolpath. Oh well! I decided to first cut the awards without personalization because it would save a lot of tool changing. Mike, it is a great hint; I normally put a 1/8" roundover on the tops and bottoms of my projects. I've been leaving 0.11"a the bottom of objects cutting them apart and doing the roundover then becomes just one operation. i'm on my way to the Shark forum to see what Shark modifications you have made.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

GrandpaB wrote:IslaWW,

Thanks for your input. I have never used Plates; all of my work has fit within the constraints of my Shark CNC bed. I just finished reading about the Toolpath Tiling options in the v8.0 Vcarve help file. i envision a gadget that would create a tile containing a Vcarve toolpath for each name in the file list. Each toolpath could then be run and the awards changed between each run.
The plate production facility and the tiling are two different things. From what you're describing the plate production would do what you want. It's the second icon from the end in the Layout and Offset section of the drawing tab.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

FixitMike wrote:The Shark controller does not have a provision for pausing within a program.

Actually, I just found a way but it has to be done in the .tap file :)
G04 P (however many seconds you want).
The Shark will automatically start after the time limit, I haven't found a way to restart as yet.
If the pause is long enough, I stop the router until it is nearly time to start again. I use a kitchen alarm to remind me :lol:
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6