Turned Profile Gadget

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Hamp3007
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger I

Turned Profile Gadget

Post by Hamp3007 »

On my machine the "Y" axis is vertical (or along the longitudinal axis of the machine) and the "X" is horizontal.

Help, I'm striking out. I am trying to do a simple turned profile and I am striking out. Below is the error I get. Also attached is the file I set up to do it.
If anyone can help me with this one I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Hamp Stevens

Error Message:

"The Selected Vector is Unsuitable".

"For a wrapped job with the cylinder along Y (wrapping X values)

The cross section must start and end with horizontal legs starting at the same X value"

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Send to Vertric_Wrapped Output.crv
file I am using for turned profile
(9 KiB) Downloaded 433 times

smik
Model of CNC Machine: FLA-100

Re: Turned Profile Gadget

Post by smik »

Hi Hamp,

I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, but I am experiencing the same issue and haven't been able to figure out.
I have the vertical legs starting at same y value error due to my orientation.

Stan

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi,

The cross-section for the turned profile gadget MUST be an open vector, the vector in the attached file is closed with a line between the 'legs'. Removing the line will allow the cross-section to be used.

Brian

smik

Post by smik »

Ok I see what I was doing wrong. I was off slightly in x to y from 1 leg to the other leg. I need to configure my snap options better or type in the values for my form.

Thanks,

Stan

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

To make sure they are lined up exactly you can go into node edit mode (press N). Select the nodes at the end of each leg (drag select or shift-mouse button) and press the Y key to line them up on the same Y co-ordinate. The same thing works with X.

smik

Post by smik »

Adrian

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Stan

Rick O.
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC router

Post by Rick O. »

Same problem here. Can't get past that error message, after many tries & reading the docs several times.

Drew a straight line across the artwork, then clipped the ends off, so the ends should be the same height. Also downloaded the file above that did not work, and tried it, modified it as suggeted, couldn't make that work either.

Would someone please post an example of a very simple Vcarve file that does work with this gadget?

TIA
RickO

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

I used the Rotary Machining 2D/2.5D tutorial when I made a turning. it's here: http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... Index.html . Just be sure to turn the design 90deg for wrapping the X axis.

Joe

bpastor
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by bpastor »

Greetings All,

I am having exactly the same problem with V9. The profile is very simple curves. I made sure that both vertical line started at the same y value (0) by pressing y in the node edit mode. I still get the error that the vertical ends must start at the same y value. Please help.

Bob Pastor

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Could you attach the file?

labautoman

Post by labautoman »

I am using v carve 8.5 and trying to get the turn profile to work and am getting the same error about the two vertical lines must start at the same Y value. I have attached the file. I do not know what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Attachments
test turn.crv
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Your vector isn't a single vector it's three separate ones that have been grouped. You need to ungroup it and then use one of the join vector tools to make it into one vector.

HUNTER45
Model of CNC Machine: sidewinder

Post by HUNTER45 »

I went to wrapped job setup was working before I installed the turn profile gadget know I get a error (there is a existing file open please close any open files before running this gadget) I shut computer off after not finding any files open and restarted and still get this error

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Can you post the file here? Can't help much if we don't see the actual file.

In the meantime...What version of the software are you running? Is your gadget up to date with your software?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

HUNTER45 wrote:I went to wrapped job setup was working before I installed the turn profile gadget know I get a error (there is a existing file open please close any open files before running this gadget) I shut computer off after not finding any files open and restarted and still get this error
The Wrapped Job Setup gadget (the first one you run in the sequence) works differently to most other gadgets in that it must be run with nothing, not even a blank job, loaded. Start VCarve/Aspire and make sure that you're seeing the start up screen which is grey with the Vectric Logo in the middle of it. If you've got a white screen then go to the File menu and choose Close.

Now you can go to the Gadgets menu (in the start up mode there should only be the File, Gadgets and Help menus showing) and choose Wrapped Job Setup and you should be good to go from there.