Thank you for the tip. I am sure this is somewhere in the documentation, but I missed it.
With your tip in mind, I experimented with changing the starting points in the node editing mode. I found that the green arrows designating the starting and ending points must be all pointing the same direction as to encircle the part.
There must have been something peculiar in the way in which I broke up the rectangles into separate lines (cutting the vectors) that caused this problem. I suspect that I did not cut the vectors in a logical order which caused a miss mash of start and endpoints, thus causing some dovetails to be IN and others to be OUT.
Thanks for your help.