Vectric Newsletter - Issue 27 - February 2012

StuartH
Vectric Craftsman

Vectric Newsletter - Issue 27 - February 2012

Post by StuartH »

This month’s newsletter is now available – please follow the links below to read more about each item.

You can subscribe to the Vectric Newsletter by clicking here: http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... cribe.html

Newsletter Issue 27 - http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... 7-feb.html
The Vectric Team :D
Web & Multimedia Developer
Vectric Ltd

http://about.me/vectric

mick40
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Vectric Newsletter - Issue 27 - February 2012

Post by mick40 »

I don't have Aspire but, will someday. Any chance I can have the dxf file so I can v-carve the nickel? My grandson collect coins this would make a great gift! :D

Thanks,
Mick
mskoldy@comcast.net

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

mick40 wrote:I don't have Aspire but, will someday. Any chance I can have the dxf file so I can v-carve the nickel? My grandson collect coins this would make a great gift! :D

Thanks,
Mick
mskoldy@comcast.net
Hi Mick,

I'm sorry, this project was designed specifically with Aspire users in mind, and there are no useable vectors available (dxf or otherwise) that would make even a marginally successful v-carve of this particular project layout.

Here's why...

• I imported photos of the front and back of the nickel, drew a few "sloppy" guide vectors for "scoops" and rough shapes

• created accurate "cookie-cutter" vectors for the perimeter of the Indian and the Bison (using Aspire's trace and node editing features)

• made a component from bitmap, then created a shallow raised dome underneath the bitmap component and used Aspire's Sculpting Tools for almost the entire remaining process.

In other words, other than the text, this project is "hand sculpted" using primarily the sculpting tools in Aspire and my handy-dandy Wacom tablet! I then "cookie-cut" the Indian and Bison to trim, started a new project in another instance of Aspire for the final layout, copied/pasted my Indian and Bison models, made recessed round dishes, drew the coin circles, wrapped/distorted the text, arranged everything, played with depth settings, etc., etc.

I swear, Aspire is a "Swiss Army knife" for creating projects with! I hope you are able to invest in it before too long...you'll LOVE it!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hey Mick,

I just had a thought...are you coming to the Aspire Camp at Jim McGrew's next week? I could sit down with you and take a few minutes to show you how I created this project during one of the breaks! (Anyone else would be welcome to watch too!)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Mick,

Here is another approach for you and I think your grandson would be happy with what you could make with them.

Do a Google search for coins (or US coins, etc) and then select Images, followed by the option for Line Drawing. You should find a lot of clean images that you can download (following any site restrictions).

Once downloaded, trace them using the Fit Vectors to Bitmap tool, clean up the vectors as needed, size and toolpath.

Here is a nickle pair that downloaded very clean. After tracing the vectors did not need any work and setting up the v-carve toolpath was easy. For some designs, you may have better luck using a combination of v-carving and Profile-On toolpaths.

It is my understanding that the US Mint does control some coin designs, such as the State Quarters. It would be good to check that out before using any recent designs.

Tim
Attachments
coins.JPG

mick40
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mick40 »

I guess it's time to save for Aspire! I'm not able to make the camp but will in the future. Thanks for the one on one offer I need all the help I can get. Tim, I took your idea and I'm happy with using this method although its nowhere as detailed he will still love it!

Thanks, I love this forum.

Mick

johnyank
Model of CNC Machine: self built router

Post by johnyank »

I'm going to buy v-carve pro, in the near future, would I be able to care the coin with v-carve pro ,or do I have to buy vectric?

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Johnyank,

Vectric is the name of the company. Vcarve and aspire are the programs. Yes you can do thecoins in either program. If you buy vcarve pro now you can up grade to aspire Later.

Tony

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi,

The Coin Bank project as presented is for Aspire only (as it has 3D faces for the coin). Tim had posted details about how to create a simpler version with only V-Carving which can be done with V-Carve Pro.

Brian

johnyank
Model of CNC Machine: self built router

Post by johnyank »

Sorry , I was thinking of inspire . Waiting on the great Eagle in the sky, As soon as he sends my tax return I will buy v-carve pro. My intention is to carve beams. Do 4 feet slide it down and do another 4 feet ,I should be able to do this with V-carve pro, Yes?

farmertom
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by farmertom »

Hi,
I really like the Buffalo Nickel project! Now I can tell my friends i am making money with my CNC machine. (LOL?).
I would like to know the size of the silver metal B coating and the black wax jars used to "paint the bank". It's hard to tell from the photos in pdf file. I have enlarged the size of my bank by adding two additional rings. Will the 16 oz of silver metal coating be enough to cover it?
Thanks
farmertom
Attachments
My Indian Head Nickel!
My Indian Head Nickel!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Very happy to know you are enjoying the project!

An 8 oz. jar of Silver B would probably do 5 or 6 nickels. A 2 oz. jar of Black Wax would do about the same number of nickels (or more).

I did two nickels and two "steampunkish" style clocks using the Sculpt Nouveau Silver B 8 oz. jar, thus far. I still have about a third of the 8oz. Silver B left in the jar (although I did order more because I anticipate I'll be using the metallics quite a lot).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC