Thanks to Vectric and Michael for the 'chubby project' Working on making two more. This may turn into another 'Paradise box' project.. Used poplar wood, stained the sides, top and bottom, left the dowel rods natural. Got my fancy knob for the top at Lowes. Somewhat of an assembly challenge. Came out really nice and it has been put into service, Buc.
I like the fancy knob, too. I was in Hobby Lobby a couple days ago and accidentally went down an aisle with all kinds of cool knobs and decorative cabinet hardware. Had to close my eyes and move on before I filled my cart!
I know what you mean about assembly. During my initial dry-fit of the dowels and sides, I thought it sure would be nice to have octopus arms with hands! However, after "practicing" the dry fit, I found it wasn't too bad after all. The slot depths and dowel lengths do allow for maneuvering everything into place, as you have done. Great job!
I cut my dowels the same way Michael did with the bandsaw to ensure they were all the same size, have to confess I cheated when it came to gluing it all together, I only glued the base & the top couple of dowels Didn't fancy wrestling with it & getting glue everywhere which I could see happening to me the way my luck normally goes
Opps sorry meant to say, good job Buc, it looks great
Your Chubby Box really came out nice. I have used the tape technique assembling mitered segments but haven't tried it with anything that has open gaps. Blue masking tape works pretty good and doesn't leave any sticky residue.