Free Project - Shoe Cubby

StuartH
Vectric Craftsman

Free Project - Shoe Cubby

Post by StuartH »

This Free Project for March 2013 is an attractive Shoe Cubby, available free of charge to all
users of VCarve Pro 6.5 and Aspire 3.5 and higher.

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/proje ... cubby.html

The Shoe Cubby width can easily be customized by cutting the shelves, rails and dowels to a
length of your choosing. You can also opt not to use the top section at all, for a two-tiered
cubby instead of the three tiers.

To view all of the previous free Vectric projects, please visit http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=41

Stu
Web & Multimedia Developer
Vectric Ltd

http://about.me/vectric

LouF
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: FLA100-00

Re: Free Project - Shoe Cubby

Post by LouF »

I have never carved on both sides of the same board, I am trying to figure it out how do I zero out to where after carving the first side where would I start to carve the second side.

Lou
Lou

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

LouF wrote:I have never carved on both sides of the same board, I am trying to figure it out how do I zero out to where after carving the first side where would I start to carve the second side.

Lou
Cutting both sides the strategy varies depending on the shape of the project being cut. Sometimes I use a right angle jig clamped or screwed to my top, with 0,0 set at the inside corner. Cut the top side with bridges so it won't break out of the starting rectangle, then flip the board over to cut the back. The piece clamped tight to the jig for both sides, and the drawings for both sides laid out using the same 0,0 reference.

Other times I add two alignment holes for pins. On the top cut the pin holes through plus 1/4" or so into your spoil board. Flip over, use pins through the holes to align then clamp. The pin holes are typically aligned along a centerline and both side drawings use the same line.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Lou,

Michael provides good detail on his dowel alignment method in the PDF instructions and the dowel alignment holes are already part of the files. I'm not sure if you saw that.

In summary, once you position the material and zero your X and Y you will not change this until both sides are done. The dowels provide the material alignment once you flip it and by keeping the same X,Y origin you will have good alignment between the sides.

As for setting your bit's z-zero point, both sides are set to the top of the material which you can confirm by looking at the Material Setup screen. You would definitely need to reset this following any bit changes.

Review the PDF instruction and ask if you need clarification.

Tim

LouF
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: FLA100-00

Post by LouF »

Tim thanks for your help I down loaded a new copy, the copy I had for a while unzipped and did not have the PDF file it must of gotten lost some how.

Thaks Lou
Lou