Free BONUS Project "Mother's Day Keepsake Box"

Bob Savage
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Free BONUS Project "Mother's Day Keepsake Box"

Post by Bob Savage »

mtylerfl wrote:Hello,

I finished my "Mother's Keepsakes Box" for my Mom today and thought you might want to see a couple pics of it!

- The wood is Maple
- Applied Minwax "Natural" stain #209
- Applied several spray coats of Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Gloss (sanded lightly with 800-grit sandpaper between every couple of coats)
Looks excellent Michael.

Question: How did you attach the chain? I can't tell if you have just a screw holding it to the lid/box. It looks like there might be something else there too?

Thanks

Bob Savage
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Bob Savage »

One other question: I've not used these type of hinges before. You guys are calling them 3/4" hinges but Home Depot and True Value guys are telling me I'm actually looking for a 1 1/2" hinge, which is 3/4" to the center but the hinges look too big for the hinge pocket in the box.

And finally, does the hinge just screw on top of the underside of the lid, no relief required?

I've got my parts cut and am hoping to finish this thing for Sunday!

By the way, thank you very much for putting this project up.

jasond
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade cnc

Post by jasond »

Bob Savage wrote:One other question: I've not used these type of hinges before. You guys are calling them 3/4" hinges but Home Depot and True Value guys are telling me I'm actually looking for a 1 1/2" hinge, which is 3/4" to the center but the hinges look too big for the hinge pocket in the box.

And finally, does the hinge just screw on top of the underside of the lid, no relief required?

The ones I used were 3/4 wide when they are open- not each side.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Bob Savage wrote:Looks excellent Michael.

Question: How did you attach the chain? I can't tell if you have just a screw holding it to the lid/box. It looks like there might be something else there too?

Thanks

One other question: I've not used these type of hinges before. You guys are calling them 3/4" hinges but Home Depot and True Value guys are telling me I'm actually looking for a 1 1/2" hinge, which is 3/4" to the center but the hinges look too big for the hinge pocket in the box.

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

Excellent questions. I used #6 Brass Flathead Phillips Wood Screws and #6 Brass Finishing Washers to attach the chain. Finishing wahsers are sort of a "dished" raised washer - kind of looks like a bagel split in half. All those items were purchased at Lowes, but any well-stocked hardware store should have them.

The hinges measure 3/4" wide when opened. The back panel of the box layout has a vector that will automatically cut a dado for an 8" x 3/4" piano-style hinge. However, you may need to use a different hinge(s) if you cannot readily locate a piano hinge that size. I believe any hardware store or something like a Michael's Arts & Crafts will have a variety of 3/4" hinges you could use. Be sure to modify (or delete) the hinge/dado vector in the back panel layout to suit your hinge choice. You can always chisel the hinge dados by hand (that's what I usually do except when I can get away with the machine doing it for me!).

I did not design a recess/dado in the top - that was primarily to keep things simple - i.e., no two-sided indexing required. The hinge is attached directly to the flat underside of the lid.

The following tip may be old news to you and others... to help get the hinges lined up properly, I first drill pilot holes and attach the hinge into the dado, then fold it over (to the closed position). I often put folded scraps of paper between the hinge halves to temporarily keep the hinge flush with the the top edge of the box. Then I use a few dabs of hot glue on the exposed surface of the hinge and place the lid on top, pressing down a few seconds. I carefully open the lid and mark the screw hole locations with a pencil and then drill pilot holes onto the underside of the lid. After verifying fit, I remove the screws and hinge, then apply my finish. Don't use too much hot glue, or it will be a bear to release the hinge from the lid before finishing!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Bob Savage
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Bob Savage »

Michael,

Thanks again for this project. I don't have any pics handy but I did build this, albeit delivery was a week late. It's a very cool design and I appreciate all the tips you provided.

Hurricane
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: K2 4 axis

Post by Hurricane »

I also made this box, but turned the box over and cut a 1/4" mortise in the front and back the length of the bottom and thru mortise in the ends. I then resawed the bottom and planed to 1/4" before assembly. Made the bottom 1/2" longer and wider and cut the mortise 5/16" deep. Therefore it helped in assembly. I left the bottom mortise 1/8" above the curved bottom so as not to chip out. I also made it in walnut with a Curly Walnut top. Came out beautiful. I do want to make some personal and do like the font... Can U tell me what font that is???? I have searched around and not able to find the exact one... Love these projects....
Attachments
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
"Whitey"
K2 Devices/4 axis
Corel Suite
PhotoCarve
Aspire11.0008

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Wonderful! I love the Walnut and your modifications to the box project. Really "makes it"!

The font for the word "Mother's" is: Harrington

The font for the word "keepsakes" is: Carmencita

NOTE: I manually node edited the Carmencita font after changing the font to curves - i.e., I removed certain fine details to assure a good carve without chipout

Many thanks for sharing your photos and I am very happy to hear you are enjoying the projects!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Hurricane
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: K2 4 axis

Post by Hurricane »

Have a couple additional photos, showing my registration board where I set all pieces up for either side. It registers the bit in the lower left corner (lower right in the picture) so I can design around that starting point for each vector. I also changed your bevel from a V-carve to a profile cut with a 90 deg .5" v cutter at .18" deep. FYI
Attachments
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG
"Whitey"
K2 Devices/4 axis
Corel Suite
PhotoCarve
Aspire11.0008

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thanks for sharing your registration setup photos, too!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

njload
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000mm

Post by njload »

Hello all, what happened to the instruction PDF file for this project. I made one a while back and want to make another and swore there was an instruction PDF for this project.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Dave,

That's the only project that doesn't have a PDF. I posted the assembly instructions and photos on the Forum on Page 1 of this thread (just go to the previous page from here).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

njload
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000mm

Post by njload »

mtylerfl, thanks for the reply. For some reason I thought there was one.

thanks